OVERVIEW – ASHLAND
SCORE: Northwood Timberwolves 74, Ashland Eagles 64
RECORDS: Northwood (7-11, 4-7 GLIAC), Ashland (14-5, 7-4 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Riepma Arena – Midland, MI.
RECAP: Northwood continues hot streak, posting their fourth straight victory in 74-64 win over GLIAC-South leading Ashland Saturday afternoon (January 20).
- The first five minutes saw both teams trade leads and split the first 22 points.
- Northwood took control from the deadlock, going on an 18-7 run to take an 11-point lead by the midway point.
- The Timberwolves increased the spread to as many as 13 (33-20). However, Ashland would battle back, scoring 12 straight points in 2:06 to cut the NU lead to 33-32
- Northwood eventually held a 38-34 edge at the break.
- NU shot 44.1 percent from the floor in the first (15-34), while the Eagles finished at 42.9 percent (12-28).
- The Timberwolves made six more 3-pointers than the Eagles (8-2), while Ashland made eight more free throws (8-0).
- Ashland scored the first four points of the second half to tie the game 38-38, but that would prove to be the the final time the Timberwolves would not lead.
- NU scored 15 of the next 16 points to go up 53-41 with under 10 minutes remaining.
- Ashland chipped away at the lead but got no closer than six points down the stretch.
- Northwood shot just 36.7 percent in the second half (11-30) compared to Ashland at 50.0 percent (11-22).
- NU held the advantage in the second half thanks to making six more free throws, grabbing four more offensive rebounds (4-0) and committing four fewer turnovers (7-3) than Ashland.
- FG PERCENTAGE: Ashland .460 (23-50), Northwood .406 (26-54)
- 3-PT PERCENTAGE: Ashland .313 (5-16), Northwood .367 (11-30)
- FREE THROW PERCENTAGE: Ashland .722 (13-18), Northwood .846 (11-13)
- REBOUNDS: Ashland 33 (Four offensive), Northwood 35 (11 offensive)
- ASSISTS/TURNOVERS: Ashland 7/11, Northwood 11/8
- POINTS IN THE PAINT: Ashland 34, Northwood 26
- POINTS OFF TURNOVERS: Ashland 5, Northwood 11
- SECOND CHANCE POINTS: Ashland 0, Northwood 12
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- David Jelinek: 13 points, eight rebounds
- Zach Allread: 13 points, three rebounds
- Nick Spitzley: 12 points, four rebounds, three assists
- Nate Georgeton: 12 points, three rebounds
- Trey McBride: 11 points, four rebounds, five steals
- The Timberwolves snapped a two-game losing streak against the Eagles and have now won five of the past seven matchups.
- Northwood has now surpassed their overall (7-5) and conference (4-3) win totals from a year ago.
- The Timberwolves will host Grace Bible Wednesday (January 24) for a game against the Tigers. Game time is set for 7 p.m.