OVERVIEW – LAKE SUPERIOR STATE
SCORE: No. 3 Lake Superior State Lakers 82, Northwood Timberwolves 61
RECORDS: Lake Superior State (17-5, 11-3 GLIAC), Northwood (9-13, 5-9 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Cooper Gymnasium – Sault Ste. Marie, Mich.
RECAP: Lake Superior State makes pushes at the end of the first half and the start of the second half in an 82-61 win over Northwood Saturday afternoon (February 3).
- Northwood came out strong in the opening minutes against second-place Lake Superior State, leading by as many as five.
- The Lakers led 23-21 late in the frame when LSSU made a run.
- Over the final 5:37, Lake Superior State scored 14 of the final 20 points of the half to go up 37-27 at the break.
- Northwood had an efficient shooting half, going 11-22 overall (50.0 percent) and 5-7 from 3-point range (71.4 percent).
- LSSU ended up shooting 41.2 percent in the half (14-34) while making five of 13 3-point attempts (38.5 percent).
- Northwood got a 3-pointers on their opening possession to cut the lead down to seven (37-30), but that is when the Lakers took the game over.
- The Lakers went on a 14-2 run to push their lead to 51-32 less than five minutes into the second half.
- Northwood got within 16 with nine minutes remaining, but LSSU got offensive rebounds on missed second free throws on two of three possessions. Both of those offensive boards resulted in 3-pointers for the Lakers, which pushed the lead up to 24 (69-45).
- NU got no closer than 21 from that point on.
- Northwood had another good shooting half, going 12-23 overall (52.2 percent) and 4-9 from beyond the arc.
- Lake Superior State was even better than NU, shooting 59.3 percent in the half (16-27).
- FG PERCENTAGE: Lake Superior State .492 (30-61), Northwood .511 (23-45)
- 3-PT PERCENTAGE: Lake Superior State .400 (8-20), Northwood .563 (9-16)
- FREE THROW PERCENTAGE: Lake Superior State .700 (14-20), Northwood .600 (6-10)
- REBOUNDS: Lake Superior State 33 (10 offensive), Northwood 25 (five offensive)
- ASSISTS/TURNOVERS: Lake Superior State 13/8, Northwood 11/11
- POINTS IN THE PAINT: Lake Superior State 26, Northwood 17
- POINTS OFF TURNOVERS: Lake Superior State 16, Northwood 11
- SECOND CHANCE POINTS: Lake Superior State 20, Northwood 4
- BENCH POINTS: Lake Superior State 32, Northwood 32
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- With his two 3-pointers today, senior Nick Spitzley is now tied for second in school history with 201 career triples. He entered play today fourth behind Aaron Simpson (200), Derek Fillmore (201) and Mike Peck (218).
- The Timberwolves will host Northern Michigan Thursday night (February 8). Game time is set for 8 p.m.