OVERVIEW – DAVENPORT
SCORE: Northwood Timberwolves 74, Davenport Panthers 72
RECORDS: Northwood (10-15, 6-11 GLIAC), Davenport (11-14, 5-12 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Riepma Arena – Midland, Mich.
RECAP: Northwood finds a way to win a wild 74-72 overtime win against Davenport Thursday night (February 15).
- After trading leads with Northwood to open the game, Davenport was able to build their edge up to 17-10 nearing the mid-way point of the first.
- The Timberwolves stormed back with a 14-2 run to turn the deficit into five-point lead at 24-19 with just over six minutes left.
- NU eventually took a 32-28 lead at the break.
- Northwood shot 35.1 percent on their attempts from the field (13-37). The Panthers hit 41.9 percent of their overall shots (13-31).
- The second half featured big runs for both teams.
- Davenport scored seven consecutive points to begin the second half, but Northwood gradually erased the deficit, going up 51-46.
- The Panthers responded with another 8-0 burst to take a one-point lead. Northwood again responded with a 9-1 run to retake and extend the edge to 60-53 with 5:19 to play.
- Yet again, it was Davenport's turn to go on a run. The visitors scored 11 unanswered points to build up a 64-60 lead with 20 seconds to play.
- Northwood dramatically fought back to force overtime, thanks to Trey McBride. He made a layup prior to a 3-pointer in the final seconds that sent the game to overtime tied 65-65.
- NU made 36.1 percent of their attempts from the floor in the second (13-36). DU sunk an even 50 percent of their shots (13-26).
- DU netted seven of the first eight points in OT to grab a six-point lead mid-way through the 5:00 period.
- The final run in a game full of runs gave the Timberwolves the win. Northwood scored the final points to take the lead and eventual victory.
- McBride clinched the win with three clutch free throws with 1.5 seconds remaining to earn the win.
- FG PERCENTAGE: Davenport .438 (28-64), Northwood .368 (28-76)
- 3-PT PERCENTAGE: Davenport .238 (5-21), Northwood .258 (8-31)
- FREE THROW PERCENTAGE: Davenport .579 (11-19), Northwood .625 (10-16)
- REBOUNDS: Davenport 45 (9 offensive), Northwood 49 (16 offensive)
- ASSISTS/TURNOVERS: Davenport 13/16, Northwood 13/10
- POINTS IN THE PAINT: Davenport 38, Northwood 32
- POINTS OFF TURNOVERS: Davenport 10, Northwood 23
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Trey McBride: 24 points (career-high), five assists, five steals
- Nick Spitzley: 13 points, 3-6 from 3-point range
- The Timberwolves will travel to Wayne State Saturday (February 17) for a crucial GLIAC matchup against the Warriors. Game time is set for 3 p.m.