OVERVIEW – NORTHERN MICHIGAN
SCORE: Northwood Timberwolves 76, Northern Michigan Wildcats 64
RECORDS: Northwood (3-4, 1-0 GLIAC), Northern Michigan (5-1, 0-1 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Riepma Arena – Midland, Mich.
RECAP: Northwood earns 76-64 victory over previously unbeaten Northern Michigan in GLIAC opener (November 29).
- The opening minutes were close, with the biggest lead standing at 20-15 for NMU.
- The Timberwolves would counter with authority past the halfway point and set the tone for the rest of the game.
- NU scored 12 consecutive points of their own to turn a five-point deficit into a seven-point lead at 27-20, and the spread would grow to as much as 10 with five minutes to play.
- A 7-2 run by NMU cut the Timberwolves' edge down to 34-30, but Northwood finished strong and closed the half with five of the last seven points to take a 39-32 lead into halftime.
- Northwood shot an impressive 50 percent from the floor in the opening half (15-30), making 38.5 percent of their attempts from three-point range count (5-13).
- Northern Michigan made 41.9 percent of their overall attempts (13-31), including 30 percent from behind the arc (3-10).
- Northwood stormed out of the gates in the second and scored seven consecutive points as part of a 13-3 run, one that brought their lead up to 52-35 nearly halfway through the stanza.
- The Timberwolves continued to hold firm, leading by as many as 19 and holding their advantage above double digits for the rest of the half, cruising to comfortable victory.
- NU made 38.7 percent of their attempts (12-31) and converted on 11.1 percent of their attempts from behind the arc (1-9) in the last 20 minutes.
- NMU shot 40.7 percent from the field (11-27) and 25 percent from three-point range (2-8).
- FG PERCENTAGE: Northern Michigan .414 (24-58), Northwood .443 (27-61)
- 3-PT PERCENTAGE: Northern Michigan .278 (5-18), Northwood .273 (6-22)
- FREE THROW PERCENTAGE: Northern Michigan .733 (11-15), Northwood .727 (16-22)
- REBOUNDS: Northern Michigan 30 (6 offensive), Northwood 44 (14 offensive)
- ASSISTS/TURNOVERS: Northern Michigan 5/9, Northwood 14/9
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Trey McBride: 19 points, five rebounds
- Ja'Kavien Lewis: 11 points, seven rebounds, six assists
- Zach Allread: 12 points, 10 rebounds
- David Jelinek: 12 points, eight rebounds
- Alec Marty: 11 points
- Northwood snapped Northern Michigan's six-game winning streak in the series.
- Allread's double-double was the first for Northwood this season.
- The Timberwolves will host Michigan Tech Saturday for another GLIAC matchup against the Huskies (December 1st). Tip-off is set for 3 p.m.