OVERVIEW – LAKE SUPERIOR STATE
SCORE: Northwood Timberwolves 91, Lake Superior State Lakers 83
RECORDS: Northwood (5-5, 3-1 GLIAC), Lake Superior State Lakers (4-4, 2-2 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Cooper Gymnasium – Sault Ste. Marie, Mich.
RECAP: Northwood moves to 3-1 in the GLIAC with a 91-83 road win over Lake Superior State Saturday afternoon (December 8)
- Lake Superior State came out fast to start the game, scoring the first six and eight of the first 10 points.
- Northwood bounced back, eventually tying the game at 19-19.
- The Timberwolves scored the final six points of the half to go up 40-35 at the break.
- NU shot 46.7 percent from the floor in the first half (14-30) while making 5-10 from 3-point range (50.0 percent) and 7-9 from the foul line (77.8 percent).
- LSSU finished the opening 20 minutes at 45.2 percent (14-31) overall and 30.8 percent from the 3-point line (4-13).
- Northwood extended their lead to 10 early in the second half, but the Lakers stayed close and eventually cut the advantage down to 62-60 with 7:43 remaining.
- Northwood then put together the key run to earn the win, scoring 12 of the next 14 points to open up a 74-62 lead.
- The Lakers got no closer than seven the rest of the way.
- Both offenses were efficient in the second half – NU shot 61.3 percent from the floor (19-31) compared to LSSU at 61.8 percent (21-34).
- FG PERCENTAGE: Lake Superior State .538 (35-65), Northwood .541 (33-61)
- 3-PT PERCENTAGE: Lake Superior State .261 (6-23), Northwood .471 (8-17)
- FREE THROW PERCENTAGE: Lake Superior State .700 (7-10), Northwood .708 (17-24)
- REBOUNDS: Lake Superior State 27 (Four offensive), Northwood 40 (Four offensive)
- ASSISTS/TURNOVERS: Lake Superior State 12/11, Northwood 9/7
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Alec Marty: 30 points (career-high), 10-18 from the floor, 8-9 from the foul line
- Trey McBride: 17 points, 8-10 from the floor
- Ja'Kavien Lewis: 13 points, five assists, three steals
- Tanner Reha: 10 points, 4-6 from the floor, 2-3 from 3-point range
- Marty is the first Northwood player to score 30 points in a game since Matt Crowl had 32 at Northern Michigan January 21, 2017.
- The Timberwolves will travel to Lake Superior State Saturday (December 8). Tip-off is set for 1 p.m.