OVERVIEW – WAYNE STATE
SCORE: Northwood Timberwolves 73, Wayne State Warriors 71
RECORDS: Northwood (9-10, 4-7 GLIAC), Wayne State (4-11, 1-10 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Matthaei Center – Detroit, Mich.
RECAP: Northwood men's basketball makes the plays down the stretch to earn a hard-fought 73-71 win over Wayne State Saturday afternoon (January 25).
- Northwood was the better team early, earning their biggest lead of the day at 21-13 with 11:50 remaining in the half.
- The Warriors responded to that deficit to control the remainder of the half, out-scoring Northwood 24-11 to take a 37-32 lead at the break.
- Wayne State shot the ball well in the opening 20 minutes, going 13-25 overall (52.0 percent), 4-7 from 3-point range (57.1 percent) and 7-10 from the foul line (70.0 percent).
- Northwood ended the half at 43.3 percent overall (13-30). NU was 4-14 from beyond the arc (30.8 percent) and 2-5 from the free throw line (40.0 percent).
- The second half was tight throughout. The Warriors lead stayed between two and eight points from the 14:54 mark until the final minutes.
- WSU led 65-60 with just over four minutes remaining when Northwood made a push. The Timberwolves scored nine of the next 11 points to go up 69-67 with 1:09 remaining. It was NU's first lead since the 3:28 mark of the first half.
- WSU had chances down the stretch to level the score, but went 2-4 from the foul line in the final 24 seconds that kept the Northwood lead at one after each trip to the line.
- A last-second Wayne State half-court shot was off, giving Northwood the win.
- Both teams shot the ball well in the second half – Northwood ended at 50.0 percent overall (14-28) and 60.0 percent from 3-point range (3-5). The Timberwolves did struggle from the foul line, going 10-17 (58.8 percent).
- Wayne State went 12-23 overall (52.2 percent) in the second half. WSU was 1-4 from beyond the arc (25.0 percent) and 9-13 from the foul line (69.2 percent)
- FG PERCENTAGE: Wayne State .521 (25-58), Northwood .466 (27-58)
- 3-PT PERCENTAGE: Wayne State .455 (5-11), Northwood .389 (7-18)
- FREE THROW PERCENTAGE: Wayne State .696 (16-23), Northwood .545 (12-22)
- REBOUNDS: Wayne State 33 (Eight offensive), Northwood 27 (Nine offensive)
- ASSISTS/TURNOVERS: Wayne State 16/18, Northwood 10/13
- POINTS IN THE PAINT: Wayne State 28, Northwood 32
- POINTS OFF TURNOVERS: Wayne State 11, Northwood 22
- SECOND CHANCE POINTS: Wayne State 9, Northwood 11
- BENCH POINTS: Wayne State 4, Northwood 18
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Ja'Kavien Lewis: 18 points, six rebounds, six assists, three steals, one turnover
- Trey McBride: 13 points, five rebounds, two steals
- David Jelinek: 13 points
- The Timberwolves will host Michigan Tech Thursday night (January 30). Game time is set for 8 p.m.