OVERVIEW – SAGINAW VALLEY
SCORE: Northwood Timberwolves 78, Saginaw Valley State Cardinals 72
RECORDS: Northwood (16-12, 11-9 GLIAC), Saginaw Valley (16-12, 10-10 GLIAC)
LOCATION: O'Neil Arena – University Center, Mich.
RECAP: Northwood men's basketball clinches the first home GLIAC Tournament game in program history after road win over rival Saginaw Valley Thursday night (February 27).
- The Cardinals started the game scoring the first six points of the game before the Timberwolves bounced back.
- NU scored 12 of the next 14 points to take a 12-8 lead.
- The score remained close throughout majority of the half, with the biggest lead the remainder of the way standing at seven (37-30 Northwood).
- The Timberwolves eventually took a 40-39 lead to halftime.
- Northwood went on top 9-7 with 12:30 remaining in the first half and would stay on top the remainder of the game.
- Both teams shot it well in the opening half – Northwood went 15-27 overall (55.6 percent) compared to SVSU at 12-21 (57.1 percent).
- Saginaw Valley was 6-9 from 3-point range (66.7 percent) and 9-10 from the foul line, while NU was 5-14 from beyond the arc (35.7 percent) and 5-7 from the foul line (71.4 percent).
- The score remained close for the majority of the second half – the lead remained below four points for both teams in the opening 11:30.
- NU scored seven straight points to take a 67-60 lead with under eight minutes remaining.
- The Cardinals stayed closed in the final minutes, but got no closer than three down the stretch.
- The Timberwolves shooting from the floor fell back in the second half, going 9-27 overall (33.3 percent) and 2-9 from 3-point range (22.2 percent).
- SVSU shot 48.3 percent in the second half (14-29) from the floor but just 1-7 from the 3-point line (14.3 percent).
- Northwood earned the win thanks to the foul line, where they out-scored Saginaw Valley 18-4 in the second half.
- FG PERCENTAGE: Saginaw Valley .500 (29-58), Northwood .459 (28-61)
- 3-PT PERCENTAGE: Saginaw Valley .353 (6-17), Northwood .250 (4-16)
- FREE THROW PERCENTAGE: Saginaw Valley .500 (7-14), Northwood .739 (17-23)
- REBOUNDS: Saginaw Valley 36 (Nine offensive), Northwood 33 (11 offensive)
- ASSISTS/TURNOVERS: Saginaw Valley 9/18, Northwood 14/10
- POINTS IN THE PAINT: Saginaw Valley 42, Northwood 34
- POINTS OFF TURNOVERS: Saginaw Valley 8, Northwood 22
- SECOND CHANCE POINTS: Saginaw Valley 7, Northwood 11
- BENCH POINTS: Saginaw Valley 17, Northwood 18
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Trey McBride: 23 points, 10 rebounds, three steals
- Jack Ammerman: 15 points, six steals
- Maurion Scott: 14 points, 4-5 from the floor, 5-6 from the foul line.
- David Jelinek: 11 points
- The Timberwolves is the fourth seed for the GLIAC tournament. They will host fifth-seeded Davenport Tuesday night (March 3). Game time is set for 7 p.m.