OVERVIEW – WAYNE STATE
SCORE: Northwood Timberwolves 74, Wayne State Warriors 67
RECORDS: Northwood (3-2, 3-2 GLIAC), Wayne State (3-2, 3-2 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Riepma Arena - Midland, Mich.
RECAP: Northwood men's basketball defeats Wayne State 77-69 Friday night (January 22).
- The opening 15 minutes of the game were evenly played – each team's biggest lead during that stretch was four points.
- A late push by the Timberwolves proved to be a key part of the game.
- The score was tied 29-29 with less than two minutes remaining when NU scored the final eight points of the half to go up 37-29 at the break.
- Northwood had a solid shooting opening 20 minutes, going 14-27 overall (51.9 percent), 4-7 from 3-point range (57.1 percent) and 5-5 from the foul line.
- Wayne State was 11-33 overall (33.3 percent), 2-4 from beyond the 3-point arc (50.0 percent) and 5-9 from the foul line (55.6 percent).
- The Timberwolves pushed their advantage to double figures for the first time at 48-37.
- The lead remained at least nine until the final 2:30 of the game, when the Warriors fought back.
- WSU got within three with 18 seconds remaining before a De'Airrus Ware layup with a foul put the game away for the Timberwolves at 70-65.
- Northwood had very similar shooting numbers in the second half to their performance in the opening 20 minutes. The Timberwolves had the exact same numbers from the floor: 14-27 overall (51.9 percent). NU was also 3-6 from 3-point range (50.0 percent). and 6-9 from the foul line (66.7 percent)
- Wayne State improved in the second half overall, going 14-28 overall (50.0 percent). But that mark included them going 0-4 from beyond the arc. WSU also was 10-16 from the foul line.
- FG PERCENTAGE: Wayne State .410 (25-61), Northwood .519 (28-54)
- 3-PT PERCENTAGE: Wayne State .250 (2-8), Northwood .538 (7-13)
- FREE THROW PERCENTAGE: Wayne State .600 (15-25), Northwood .786 (11-14)
- REBOUNDS: Wayne State 38 (14 offensive), Northwood 31 (Five offensive)
- ASSISTS/TURNOVERS: Wayne State 9/10, Northwood 13/13
- POINTS IN THE PAINT: Wayne State 36, Northwood 32
- POINTS OFF TURNOVERS: Wayne State 18, Northwood 8
- SECOND CHANCE POINTS: Wayne State 14, Northwood 5
- BENCH POINTS: Wayne State 18, Northwood 24
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Jack Ammerman: 25 points (season-high), 8-12 from the floor, 5-6 from 3-point range, 4-4 from the foul line
- Evan Lowden: 19 points, 10 rebounds (first career double-double), 7-12 from the floor, 5-5 from the foul line
- Richard Nunez/De'Airrus Ware: 10 points each
- The Timberwolves will host Wayne State to conclude the weekend series Saturday (January 23). Game time is set for 3 p.m.