OVERVIEW – WAYNE STATE
SCORE: Northwood Timberwolves 67, Wayne State Warriors 66
RECORDS: Northwood (4-2, 4-2 GLIAC), Wayne State (3-3, 3-3 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Riepma Arena - Midland, Mich.
RECAP: Jack Ammerman's buzzer-beater lifts Northwood to 67-66 win over Wayne State 67-66 Saturday (January 23).
- The Timberwolves got off to a good start, scoring the first six points of the game.
- NU held a six point lead on seven separate occasions in the half, but were unable to extend the lead any higher.
- Wayne State took their first lead at 28-27, but held the lead for just 23 seconds.
- The Timberwolves eventually took a 34-32 lead at the break.
- Northwood ended the opening 20 minutes at 50.0 percent overall (12-24) while going 3-8 from 3-point range (37.5 percent) and 7-9 from the foul line (77.8 percent).
- Wayne State went 9-28 overall in the first half, good for 32.1 percent. The Warriors were 2-7 from beyond the 3-point arc (28.6 percent) and 12-16 from the foul line (75.0 percent).
- Northwood used a 10-2 run in the second half to open up a 52-44 lead with 9:56 remaining.
- The Timberwolves led 63-58 with three minutes remaining when the Warriors made a push. WS scored eight straight points to go up 66-63 in the final moments of the game.
- After Evan Lowden made a free throw with two seconds remaining, he missed his second attempt on purpose. The ball went out of bounds to Northwood with .8 seconds remaining.
- On the final play of the game, Lowden found Ammerman in the corner, who connected on a triple while fading away as the buzzer sounded, giving Northwood the 67-66 win.
- Both teams shot it better in the second half – Northwood was 14-26 overall (53.8 percent) and 3-7 from three (42.9 percent). NU did struggle from the foul line, going just 2-7 (28.6 percent).
- Wayne State was 11-21 from the floor in the half (52.4 percent) and 0-2 from 3-point range. The Warriors were strong at the foul line, going 12-14 overall (85.7 percent).
- FG PERCENTAGE: Wayne State .408 (20-49), Northwood .520 (26-50)
- 3-PT PERCENTAGE: Wayne State .222 (2-9), Northwood .400 (6-15)
- FREE THROW PERCENTAGE: Wayne State .800 (24-30), Northwood .563 (9-16)
- REBOUNDS: Wayne State 28 (Seven offensive), Northwood 34 (Nine offensive)
- ASSISTS/TURNOVERS: Wayne State 5/10, Northwood 15/20
- POINTS IN THE PAINT: Wayne State 34, Northwood 32
- POINTS OFF TURNOVERS: Wayne State 17, Northwood 8
- SECOND CHANCE POINTS: Wayne State 14, Northwood 10
- BENCH POINTS: Wayne State 10, Northwood 10
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Maurion Scott: 20 points (career-high), 8-10 from the floor, 4-4 from 3-point range, four rebounds, four assists
- Jack Ammerman: 13 points (11 in the second half)
- Evan Lowden: 11 points, eight rebounds, eight assists
- The Timberwolves travel to Saginaw Valley Tuesday night (January 26). Game time is set for 5 p.m.