SCORE: Northwood Timberwolves 1, Tiffin Dragons 0
RECORDS: Northwood (6-2-2, 4-0-1 GLIAC), Tiffin (4-3-2, 3-1-1 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Dean Field - Midland, Mich.
RECAP: Timberwolves stout defense key in shutout of Tiffin Sunday (October 1).
INSIDE THE GAME
- Early on in the contest, Northwood goaltender Corbin Cecchini made his best save. On a Tiffin one-timer inside the box from the left side, Cecchini used his head to make a key stop in his bid for a shutout.
- Outshooting the Dragons mid-way through the first half, the Timberwolves were looking to convert. In the 28th minute, Lirim Shefkiu was able to draw a penalty inside the box, leading to a penalty kick. James Vaughan, the usual candidate to shoot, converted on the opportunity to make it 1-0 in favor of the Timberwolves.
- With Tiffin pressing in the final minute, the Northwood defense came to the aid of Cecchini. Josh Wates made a key block inside the box near the goal line to preserve the lead. In the final seconds, Zachary Bakos stood tall and blocked a strike from the top of the box as the clock wound down.
- SHOTS: Tiffin 13, Northwood 10
- SAVES: Northwood 4, Tiffin 2
- CORNER KICKS: Northwood 7, Tiffin 6
- FOULS: Northwood 10, Tiffin 10
- Tiffin leads the all-time series 16-9-4, but Northwood has gone 3-2-2 in the past seven meetings dating back to 2014.
- James Vaughan set a personal best for goals in a season with his sixth on the penalty kick.
- This was Northwood's fourth shutout win of 2017. They had seven last season.
- The Timberwolves will host Saginaw Valley for a game against the Cardinals on Wednesday (October 4). Game time is set for 3:00 p.m.