SCORE: Northwood Timberwolves 1, Saginaw Valley State Cardinals 0
RECORDS: Northwood (7-2-2, 5-0-1 GLIAC), Saginaw Valley (7-2-1, 4-1-1 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Dean Field - Midland, Mich.
RECAP: Hobbs's overtime winner lone goal in thrilling Timberwolves victory Wednesday (October 4).
INSIDE THE GAME
- Nine minutes into the contest with each team combining for one shot, Saginaw Valley was given their first prime oppotrtunity to gain an advantage. Northwood was called for a penalty in the box and the Cardinals were awarded a penalty kick. With the Timberwolves needing a save, goaltender Corbin Cecchini dove to his left to make a critical stop, keeping the game scoreless.
- Early on in the second half after getting outshot 8-1, Northwood had two prime chances within minutes of each other to strike first. In the 49th minute, Lirim Shefkiu showed his speed and cut outside to the left of the box before chipping a shot off the crossbar. In the 51st minute, the Timberwolves were awarded a corner kick. On the sinking liner from James Vaughan, Connor Cole timed his leap perfectly and redirected the ball just wide of the right post.
- In the dying minutes of regulation, defender Josh Wates made a crucial block. In the middle of the box, he was able to deflect the ball away from the far post with a header to keep the contest scoreless and force it into overtime.
- Early on in the first overtime with the two teams still scoreless, Austin Hobbs was able to force a turnover at midfield. Speeding ahead towards the left side of the box, the freshman was able to slide a strike to the right past the Saginaw Valley goaltender for the game-winner.
- SHOTS: Saginaw Valley 13, Northwood 7
- SAVES: Northwood 3, Saginaw Valley 1
- CORNER KICKS: Saginaw Valley 11, Northwood 4
- FOULS: Northwood 11, Saginaw Valley 9
- The Timberwolves now have the slim edge in the season series dating back to 2013, going 6-5-1 in the past 12 matchups.
- Austin Hobbs scored his second goal of his collegiate career and the first game-winner of his Northwood tenure. His 28 shots place second on the team.
- This was Northwood's first overtime win this season in three tries. The other two contests ended in ties.
- The Timberwolves will host Northern Michigan for a game against the Wildcats on Friday (Oct. 6). Game time is set for 12:00 p.m.