OVERVIEW – NORTHERN MICHIGAN
SCORE: Northwood Timberwolves 5, Northern Michigan Wildcats 3
RECORDS: Northwood (11-7-1), Northern Michigan (8-11)
LOCATION: Hantz Stadium – Midland, Mich.
RECAP: Fourth-seeded Northwood defeats No. 5 Northern Michigan 5-3 in the GLIAC Quarterfinals Monday afternoon (November 11).
- Playing the entire game in snowy, cold conditions, the Timberwolves wasted no time getting on the board. Just fifty seconds into the game, Ryan Dobson cleaned up a ball bouncing around the box, sending it into the lower left corner of the net to put Northwood up 1-0 early.
- Jack Doyle netted his eight goal of the season just minutes later. Assisted by Kie Dyer, Doyle put the Timberwolves up 2-0 at 6:43.
- The Wildcats responded with a goal from Nick Metcalfe, assisted by Ryan Palmbaum, at 26:44 to make the score 2-1.
- With a little over ten minutes remaining in the first half, the Timberwolves were awarded a penalty kick. Restum was able to make the save, but an attempt to clear the ball deflected off of a Northern Michigan defender and into the back of the net to give Northwood a 3-1 advantage with 10:09 left in the half. That is where the score would remain into the second half.
- At 70:45, Metcalfe netted his second goal of the game with a header, assisted by Callum Oplin. This narrowed the Northwood lead to 3-2.
- Shortly after, Nino Evola shot and scored from the top of the box at 76:04. Ben Campbell picked up the assist as the Timberwolves went up 4-2 late in the contest.
- Once again, the Wildcats responded quickly. Luca Lippert scored, unassisted, to bring Northern within one goal at 77:49.
- The Timberwolves pulled away for good with 0:45 left in the contest. An empty-net breakaway goal finished by Doyle put Northwood up 5-3.
- Shots: Northwood 14, Northern Michigan 21
- Saves: Northwood 5 (Corbin Cechinni), Northern Michigan 5 (Patrick Restum)
- Corner Kicks: Northwood 3, Northern Michigan 6
- Fouls: Northwood 11, Northern Michigan 8
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Doyle: 2 goals
- Dobson: Goal
- Evola: Goal
- Dyer: Assist
- The Timberwolves will play at Parkside in the semifinal of the GLIAC tournament Friday (November 15). Match time is to be determined.