The Northwood University men's tennis team earned a hard-fought 5-3 win over Ohio Dominican Saturday afternoon (April 20) in the GLIAC Semifinals.
Northwood is now 15-4 overall with the win. Ohio Dominican falls to 12-9 with the loss.
The Timberwolves earned a pair of quick wins to open things up, winning 8-2 at No. 2 singles and No. 8-1 at No. 3 singles. ODU earned an 8-5 win at the top position to cut the lead to 2-1 heading into singles.
Northwood earned a pair of quick wins at singles, with Konstantin Zhukov earning a 6-1, 6-0 win at six singles and Lorenzo Montegiorgi taking a 6-1, 6-2 win at No. 4 singles. With the Timberwolves leading 4-1, Ohio Dominican rallied back. The Panthers took wins at the No. 1 and No. 5 singles to cut the lead down to 4-3. With two matches remaining, Northwood's Marcus Oliveira earned a 7-6, 6-2 victory at No. 2 singles to clinch the victory.
The Timberwolves will take on Ferris State in the championship match Sunday morning (April 21). First serve is set for 8:30 a.m.
1. Walid Gtari (OD) def. Jean Menard (NU) 4-6, 6-3, 6-2
2. Marcus Oliveira (NU) def. Tito Bonadonna (OD) 7-6, 6-2
3. Florian Boggia (NU) vs. Tyler Johnston (OD) unfinished
4. Lorenzo Montegiorgi (NU) def. Jeremy Mokry (OD) 6-1, 6-2
5. Justin Tjon (OD) def. Victor Kasak (NU) 6-1, 6-4
6. Konstantin Zhukov (NU) def. Gerardo Perez (OD) 6-1, 6-0
1. Walid Gtari/Justin Tjon (OD) def. Florian Boggia/Jean Menard (NU) 8-5
2. Lorenzo Montegiorgi/Marcus Oliveira (NU) def. Tyler Johnston/Patrick Ohanian (OD) 8-2
3. Samual Walendowsky/Konstantin Zhukov (NU) def. Tito Bonadonna/Jeremy Mokry (OD) 8-1