The Northwood University men's tennis team earned the outright GLIAC Championship Monday afternoon (April 21) with a 6-3 win at Wayne State.
The Timberwolves had already clinched at least a share of their 20th straight GLIAC Championship prior to the match. Wayne State could have earned a share of the conference title with a win over Northwood today.
Northwood is now 14-3 overall, 10-1 in the GLIAC. Wayne State falls to 9-8 overall, 8-3 in the GLIAC.
NU got on the board first in doubles, with the No. 1 team of Jean Menard (Amboise, France) and Lorenzo Montegiorgi (Velletri, Italy) earning an 8-2 win. But Wayne State bounced back to take both the No. 2 and No. 3 matches to go up 2-1 heading into singles.
Northwood was the better team in singles, winning five of the six matches. NU leveled the score 2-2 with a 6-2, 6-4 victory by Konstantin Zhukov (Kazan, Russia) at No. 4 singles. WSU took the No. 6 singles match to go up 3-2, only to see the Timberwolves win the final four matches. Menard won a straight-set match at No. 1 singles followed by Montegiorgi also claiming a straight-set victory at the No. 2 position to put Northwood on top 4-3. Salikh Gilmutdinov (Kazan, Russia) clinched the match with a 4-6, 6-1, 6-2 victory at No. 3 singles, which was followed by an Austin Woody (Midland, Mich./Dow) three-set victory.
The Timberwolves will be the top seed at the upcoming GLIAC Tournament this Friday-Sunday (April 25-27). Northwood will take on No. 8 seed Michigan Tech in the opening round. The event will take place at the Midland Community Tennis Center.
1. Jean Menard (NU) def. Clement Charriere (WSU) 6-2, 6-4
2. Lorenzo Montegiorgi (NU) def. Stephane Robineau (WSU) 6-0, 7-5
3. Salikh Gilmutdinov (NU) def. Michael FitzGerald (WSU) 4-6, 6-1, 6-2
4. Konstantin Zhukov (NU) def. Mohamed Fazyl Kechai (WSU) 6-2, 6-4
5. Austin Woody (NU) def. Melvin Joseph (WSU) 6-2, 5-7, 6-2
6. Trey Keating (WSU) def. Felipe C.Bastistella (NU) 6-3, 6-4
1. Jean Menard/Lorenzo Montegiorgi (NU) def. Stephane Robineau/Trey Keating (WSU) 8-2
2. Clement Charriere/Michael FitzGerald (WSU) def. Konstantin Zhukov/Samual Walendowsky
3. Melvin Joseph/Mohamed Fazyl Kechai (WSU) def. Austin Woody/Salikh Gilmutdinov (NU) 8-4
Northwood University 14-3, 10-1 GLIAC; National ranking #37; Regional ranking #5
Wayne State University 9-8, 8-3 GLIAC
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (4,6,1,2,3,5)