MIDLAND, MICH. – The Northwood University men's tennis team advanced to the GLIAC Tournament semifinals Friday night (April 26) with a 5-2 win over Michigan Tech.
Northwood is now 15-3 on the season. Michigan Tech falls to 9-10.
Michigan Tech got off to a fast start in doubles, opening up big early leads and eventually earning wins at the No. 1 and No. 2 doubles positions. The Timberwolves sandwiched a win between those two MTU victories, however, as the team of Austin Woody (Midland, Mich./Dow) and Salikh Gilmutdinov (Kazan, Russia) earned an 8-4 win at the No. 3 position.
Trailing 2-1 heading into singles, Northwood responded with strong play in singles. The Timberwolves earned straight set wins at the top three singles positions, as Jean Menard (Amboise, France), Lorenzo Montegiorgi(Velletri, Italy) and Gilmutdinov each picked up wins to put NU on top 4-2. Woody then clinched the victory after bouncing back from dropping the first set to earn a 6-7, 6-3, 6-2 win at the No. 5 singles position.
Northwood will now take on fourth seeded Wayne State in the GLIAC Tournament Semifinals. The match will begin Saturday (April 27) at 3:45 p.m.
1. Jean Menard (NU) def. Felipe dos Santos (MT) 6-2, 6-0
2. Lorenzo Montegiorgi (NU) def. Javier Oliveros (MT) 6-1, 6-4
3. Salikh Gilmutdinov (NU) def. Pedro Rodriguez (MT) 7-5, 6-3
4. Konstantin Zhukov (NU) vs. Built Yumuang (MT) unfinished
5. Austin Woody (NU) def. Nick Kremkow (MT) 6-7, 6-3, 6-2
6. Felipe C. Batistella (NU) vs. Jimmy Konarske (MT) unfinished
1. Felipe dos Santos/Pedro Rodriguez (MT) def. Jean Menard/Lorenzo Montegiorgi (NU) 8-3
2. Javier Oliveros/Jimmy Konarske (MT) def. Konstantin Zhukov/Samuel Walendowsky (NU) 8-5
3. Austin Woody/Salikh Gilmutdinov (NU) def. Built Yumuang/Nick Kremkow (MT) 8-4