Men's Tennis Wins GLIAC Tournament Championship With 5-1 Win Over Findlay
MIDLAND, MICH. – The Northwood University men's tennis team claimed the GLIAC Tournament Championship Sunday afternoon (April 27) with a 5-1 win over Findlay.
Northwood, which claimed its 20th consecutive GLIAC Championship this season, has now won 14 of the last 15 GLIAC Tournament titles as well.
Northwood is now 17-3 overall with the win. Findlay falls to 12-8 with the loss.
The Timberwolves took two of the three doubles matches to open the contest. The team of Konstantin Zhukov and Samuel Walendowsky (Brusque, Brazil) picked up an 8-4 win at No. 2 doubles, while Austin Woody (Midland, Mich./Dow) and Salikh Gilmutdinov (Kazan, Russia) also won 8-4 at No. 3 doubles.
Northwood finished off the match with three quick straight set wins. Zhukov earned a 6-1, 6-3 victory at No. 4 singles to put NU on top 3-1. Felipe Crema Batistella (São José dos Campos, Brazil) then put Northwood within one win of the title with a 6-4, 6-3 victory at No. 6 singles. Woody then finished off the match with a 6-0, 7-6 win at No. 5 singles.
NU will now head to the NCAA Tournament. The field will be announced Tuesday night (April 29) at 8 p.m. on NCAA.com.
1. Jean Menard (NU) vs. Manuel Ringsletter (UFM) unfinished
2. Lorenzo Montegiorgi (NU) vs. Robin Semal (UFM) unfinished
3. Salikh Gilmutdinov (NU) vs. John Kidd (UFM) unfinished
4. Konstantin Zhukov (NU) def. Djordje Ljubinkovic (UFM) 6-1, 6-3
5. Austin Woody (NU) def. Yannick Mohring (UFM) 6-0, 7-6
6. Felipe C. Batistella (NU) def. Connor Majdalani (UFM) 6-4, 6-3
1. Manuel Ringsletter/Robin Semal (UFM) def. Jean Menard/Lorenzo Montegiorgi (NU) 8-3
2. Konstantin Zhukov/Samuel Walendowsky (NU) def. John Kidd/Yannick Mohring (UFM) 8-4
3. Austin Woody/Salikh Gilmutdinov (NU) def. Djordje Ljubinkovic/Connor Majdalani (UFM) 8-4