OVERVIEW: NCAA Championships
EVENT: NCAA 60 Meter Hurdle Championship
LOCATION: University of Alabama - Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama
RECAP: Northwood men's track athlete, Rami Gharsalli places 2nd at the NCAA National Championships; earning first Team All-American Honors, Northwood finishes the season ranked 23rd in the country.
INSIDE THE EVENT
- Rami Gharsalli represented the Northwood Men's Track and Field Teams in the NCAA National Championships on Saturday (March 11).
- Gharsalli capped a phenomenal sophomore campaign by placing 2nd in the entire nation, and earning first team All-American Honors with his time of 7.93. Marshawn Scott of Limestone College (South Carolina) won the event by narrowly edging out Gharsalli with a time of 7.92
- Gharsalli's second place finish is the highest for a Northwood athlete at the NCAA Championships since Josh Webber at the 2004 Indoor Championships. Weber also finished second in the 800 with a time of 1:50.48.
- The second place finish for Gharsalli concludess an incredible season that included GLIAC Track Athlete of the Week twice, a school record in the 60 Meter Hurdles, a first place finish at the GLIAC Championship in the 60 Meter Hurdles, and now a second place finish at the NCAA National Championships.
- The Northwood men's indoor track team finishes the season ranked 23rd in the country, a top 25 finish for the Timberwolves.
COACH MICHAEL ROBERTS:
"It was a tight race and they needed a photo finish to determine the winner. Rami fought hard to the finish line to edge out his competitors for a 2nd place finish at the championships."
"Our Men's team finished 23rd nationally at the championships which is a huge accomplishment for the Timberwolves. Both men proved that having the will, trusting in the coaching, and the dedication to personal fitness guarantees success. They continue to be great role models for their fellow teammates while fueling the fire for more potential national qualifiers this outdoor season."
- Northwood will begin the outdoor track season at the Raleigh Relays in North Carolina beginning the weekend of March 24.