OVERVIEW: Hillsdale Conference Crossover – Hillsdale College
EVENT: 2018 Hillsdale Conference Crossover
LOCATION: Margot V. Biermann Athletic Center – Hillsdale, Mich.
RECAP: Northwood University's men's and women's indoor track and field teams competed at the Hillsdale Conference Crossover Saturday (January 20) in a meet that featured teams from the GLIAC, GMAC and GLVC.
INSIDE THE MEET
MEN'S TRACK & FIELD
- Junior Rami Gharsalli posted a seasonal best effort and an improved NCAA provisional qualifying in the 60 meter hurdles to win the event in convincing fashion. The hurdle specialist posted a time of 7.93, just three-hundredths of a second off the automatic qualifying standard of 7.90. Gharsalli is currently in a tie for third on the NCAA qualifying list.
- The Northwood men saw a 1-2 sweep in the 60 meter dash. Mason Phillips continued his strong freshman campaign by winning the event in 6.97. Sophomore Christopher Bent came in second to Phillips with a time of 7.01 seconds.
- Phillips later won the 200 meter dash in 22.21 seconds, with Bent finishing in third place (22.66 seconds).
- Senior Paul Evans finished second in the weight throw with a toss of 17.52 meters/57 feet-5.75 inches.
- Senior John King finished second in the 400 meter dash (52.08 seconds).
- The 4x400 meter relay team of King, Bent, Gharsalli and Phillips posted a third place finish in the event (3:31.04 seconds).
WOMEN'S TRACK & FIELD
- Senior Madison Arnouts claimed the 400 meter dash title in 59.49 seconds.
- Senior Carly D'Almeida placed second in the weight throw with a toss of 16.84 meters/55 feet-3 inches on her third throw of the competition.
- Freshman Jessica Marvin had an outstanding day with two lifetime bests in the throwing events. Marvin placed second in the shot put with a toss of 12.30 meters/40 feet-4.25 inches.
- Marvin's second lifetime best came in the weight throw on her final attempt of the competition when she unleashed a toss of 15.70 meters/51 feet-6.25 inches. Her previous best in the event was 14.71 meters/48 feet-3.25 inches, with four of her throws exceeding that mark today.
- Arnouts teamed up with senior Kara Young and freshmen Infiniti Bradley and Amanda Aquinaga to finished third in the 4x400 meter relay (4:17.11).
The Timberwolves will split its squad between a variety of meets Friday (January 26) and Saturday (January 27). Meets are still to be determined.