OVERVIEW: SVSU-NU-TU Triangular / Hillsdale Wide Track Classic
EVENT: SVSU vs. NU/Tiffin Triangular
LOCATION: SVSU Fieldhouse – University Center, Mich.
RECAP: The Northwood track and field teams achieved collegiate, seasonal bests at the SVSU-NU-TU Triangular Saturday (February 3).
INSIDE THE MEET
MEN'S TRACK AND FIELD
- Senior Paul Evans won the weight throw with an NCAA provisional mark of 18.62 meters/61 feet-125 inches. Junior Ben Quella finished third in the event (5.51 meters/50 feet-10.75 inches), while freshman Hunter Berecz finished in fifth place (14.81 meters/48 feet-7.25 inches).
- Junior Caleb Barker recorded a second place finish in the mile with a time of 4:37.64 in his first race at the distance.
- Senior John King finished third in the 60 meter dash with a time of 7.34 seconds.
- Freshman Ricky Harvey had a clearance of 1.78 meters/5 feet-10 inches in the high jump to finish third.
- Evans returned to throw shot put for the first time since the 2014-15 season, and finished in seventh with a top distance of 14.73 meters/48 feet-10 inches for a new collegiate best bvy more than two meters. His previous best was 12.72 meters/41 feet-8.75 inches set at the SVSU Doug Hansen Open in 2015.
- Berecz threw the shot put 14.25 meters/46 feet-9 inches for an eighth place finish and recording a new collegiate best in the event.
WOMEN'S TRACK AND FIELD
- Senior Madison Arnouts won the 60 meter hurdles in 9.24 seconds for a collegiate best in her first hurdle race of the year. Her previous best of 9.31 seconds was set at the Findlay Classic in 2017.
- Freshman Morgan Bolinger won the 3000 meter run, recording a time of 11:47.10, while senior Jacqueline Reneaud finished second in 11:53.79. Reneaud's time is a seasonal best effort by almost 30 seconds and a new collegiate best. Her previous best in the event was 11:58.14 set at the GVSU Big Meet (Saturday) in 2016.
- Senior Kara Young and Arnouts finished 1-2 in the 200 meter dash, with times of 26.11 and 26.27 seconds respectively for new season bests.
- Freshman Jessica Marvin won the weight throw with a distance of 15.12 meters/49 feet-7.25 inches, while sophomore teammate Hannah Gearhart finished third with a throw of 13.68 meters/44 feet-10.75 inches.
- Freshman Infiniti Bradley finished second in the 60 meter dash in 7.98 seconds for a new collegiate best in the event.
- Amanda Aquinaga had a third place finish in the mile with a time of 5:43.14.
EVENT: Hillsdale Wide Track Classic
LOCATION: Margot V. Biermann Athletic Center – Hillsdale, Mich.
RECAP: The Northwood track and field team sent a small contingent to compete in the Hillsdale Wide-Track Classic Friday (February 2).
INSIDE THE MEET
MEN'S TRACK & FIELD
- Freshman Dylan Rocha registered a second place finish in the 3000 run with a time of 8:46.60.
- The all-freshman distance medley relay team of Michael Allen, Mason Phillips, Trestin Mancillas-Finnerty, and Brian Patrick recorded a time of 10:17.74 for a third place finish.
The Northwood track and field teams will continue the indoor campaign at the GVSU Big Meet Friday (February 9) and Saturday (February 10) in Allendale, Michigan. Competition is set to start at 10 am for both days.