OVERVIEW: NCAA OUTDOOR TRACK & FIELD CHAMPIONSHIPS
EVENT: 2018 NCAA Division II Outdoor Track & Field Championships - Hosted by Johnson C. Smith
LOCATION: Irwin Belk Complex – Charlotte, N.C.
RECAP: The men's 4x100 relay closed out competition for Northwood at the NCAA Division II Outdoor Track & Field Championships Saturday (May 26).
INSIDE THE MEET
- The men's 4x100 relay of junior Rami Gharsalli, sophomores Christopher Bent and Austin Hamlet, and freshman Mason Phillips took to the track in the finals of the event; however, the baton was dropped during the race.
- The quartet rewrote the school record two consecutive times – at the Mount Olive Final Qualifier (May 13) and the prelims of the 4x100 relay at the NCAA Championships (May 24). The school record now stands at 40.35 seconds.
- Northwood will leave the NCAA Championships with two All-American citations.
- Phillips earned All-America First Team honors after an eighth place finish in the long jump. His freshman season ends as a two-time First Team All-American (eighth during the NCAA Indoor Championships).
- Senior Paul Evans earned his second career All-American honor after earning Second Team honors in the hammer throw following his 12th place performance.
The NCAA Championships is the final meet of the 2017-18 year for Northwood.