OVERVIEW – GVSU BOB EUBANKS OPEN
MEET: GVSU Bob Eubanks Open
LOCATION: Allendale, Mich. – Grand Valley State University
RECAP: Northwood track and field resumes action after the winter break at Grand Valley State University, highlighted by a third NCAA provisional qualifying mark by Mason Phillips Friday (January 11).
INSIDE THE MEET – MEN
- Mason Phillips picked up where he left off before the winter break. Phillips won the 400 meters in a NCAA provisional qualifying mark of 47.84 seconds for a lifetime best and the second fastest time in NU history.
- At the time of the release, he currently ranks fifth on the national list and owns the top times in the 60 and 200 meter dashes in Division II going into the remainder of the weekend.
- Andrew Davis earned a fourth-place finish in the 60 meter dash finals. His time of 6.97 seconds is a new personal best and moves into NU's all-time performance list as the 10th best time.
- Davis was also the top NU performer in the 200 meters, finishing eighth in 22.53 seconds.
- In the 60 meter hurdles, JaiVen Holmes-Powell was the eighth fastest time in the preliminaries in 9.14 seconds, but did not compete in the finals due to event conflicts.
- Netunji Paige, Chase Clark and Trestin Mancillas-Finnerty went 3-4-5 in a tightly contested 800 meters with times of 1:53.67, 1:53.71 and 1:54.48 respectively. The group was just shy of the NCAA provisional qualifying mark (1:53.25).
- In the 3k, Northwood had two runners place in the top eight. Dylan Rocha led the way with a second place finish in 8:45.16. Zane Aldrich crossed the line in 8:54.58 for sixth place.
- Phillips, Paige and Davis teamed up with Josiah Morse in the 4x400 meter relay and earned a second-place finish (3:21.44).
- Jerralmiar Jones notched a clearance of 1.99 meters (6 feet-6.25 inches) in the high jump for a fourth-place finish.
- The throwers were led by Hunter Berecz. His throw of 14.15 meters (46 feet-5.25 inches) on his second attempt of the competition held through the finals for a ninth-place finish.
INSIDE THE MEET – WOMEN
- Jetaeia Lewis was the pace setter for the Northwood sprinters. Lewis posted a 7.88 in the preliminaries of the 60 meter dash before clocking the same time in the finals to finish second.
- The mile saw Amanda Aquinaga earn a sixth place finish in the mile in 5:32.54 for a lifetime best in the event.
- In the high jump, Heaven Powell cleared 1.62 meters (5 feet-3.75 inches) to win the competition.
- Taky Ezell claimed a ninth place finish in the shot put with a mark of 11.31 meters (37 feet-1.25 inches).
- The track and field teams will travel to Hillsdale College for the Hillsdale Conference Crossover. The meet is set for Friday (January 18) at 4:00 p.m.