OVERVIEW – GVSU BIG MEET FRIDAY
MEET: GVSU Big Meet – Friday
RECAP: School records go down and NCAA provisional marks are turned in to highlight a strong day at the GVSU Big Meet Friday (February 8).
DISTANCE CREW TURNS IN NCAA PROVO, SCHOOL RECORDS
- The first big mark of the day for the men's distance squad came from Dylan Rocha in the 5k, posting a time of 14:39.49 seconds to turn in a new NCAA provisional qualifying mark. His time moves him to second all-time in Northwood history and a personal best by 26 seconds.
- Also in the 5k, Parker Hayes and Zane Aldrich his big personal bests by 15:15.12 and 15:15.37 respectively. A 72 second PR for Hayes and a 66 second PR for Aldrich, they move into sixth and seventh on the all-time performance list.
- Two men dipped under the mile school record. Chase Clark the title after posting a time of 4:14.28 to beat the previous mark of 4:15.78 set by Tyler Jensen in 2017. Trestin Mancillas-Finnerty finished right behind in 4:14.53 for the second fastest time in school history.
- Brian Patrick shattered another school record, this time in the 3k. His time of 8:24.20 was a personal best by 14 seconds, just narrowly missing the NCAA provisional mark in the event. The previous record of 8:33.99 was set last year by Rocha.
GHARSALLI CONTINUES CLIMBING NCAA QUALIFYING LIST
- Rami Gharsalli continues to improve each meet in the 60 meter hurdles, finishing third in the finals in a season best time of 7.99 seconds to improve on his previous NCAA provisional mark. He was the third fastest qualifier out of prelims after posting a time of 8.06 seconds.
- Gharsalli is currently ranked fourth in NCAA Division II Indoor Track & Field Championships qualifying list at the time of this article.
LEWIS CONSISTENT IN 60 DASH
- Jetaeia Lewis continued her strong season in the 60 meter dash. She was the third fastest qualifier in the preliminaries after posting a time of 7.67 seconds to satisfy the NCAA provisional qualifying standard for her second straight week. She followed up with a fifth-place finish in the finals at 7.70 seconds.
- Her time of 7.67 is just shy of her personal best, 7.66 seconds, set at the Hillsdale Wide Track Classic last weekend.
OVERVIEW – GVSU BIG MEET SATURDAY
MEET: GVSU Big Meet – Saturday
RECAP: Men's DMR breaks school record for second time this season for an improved NCAA provisional mark at GVSU Big Meet Saturday (February 9).
MEN'S DMR RECORD BROKEN, AGAIN
- In a fast DMR heat, the Northwood quartet of Clark, Mason Phillips, Netunji Paige and Brian Patrick broke the school record for the second time this season. Their time of 9:53.12 is an improved NCAA provisional qualifying time that currently sits them sixth on the qualifying list and the all-time school record, regardless of track size.
- The four posted solid splits across the board. Unofficial splits are as followed: 1200m - 3:00.1 (Clark), 400m – 47.1 seconds (Phillips), 800m – 1:51.9 (Paige) and 1600m – 4:13.9 (Patrick).
INSIDE THE MEET
- Trestin Mancillas-Finnerty claimed a sixth place finish in the men's 800 meters in a personal best effort. His time of 1:53.32 moves him into fifth all-time in Northwood history.
- In the women's 800 meter race, Amanda Aquinaga ran a personal best in the 800 meters. Her time of 2:21.75 is an improvement on her time as the fifth fastest 800 runner in school history.
- Madi Brooks set a new personal best in the mile finishing in 5:20.77. That time moves her into seventh on the all-time performance list for the women's mile.
- The final meet before the GLIAC Indoor Championships will be at the SVSU Tune-Up Friday (February 15) beginning at 2:30 p.m.