OVERVIEW – GEORGIAN COURT/MINNESOTA STATE MOORHEAD
SCORES: Northwood Timberwolves 13, Georgian Court Lions 6; Northwood 7, Minnesota State Moorhead Dragons 0
RECORDS: Northwood 6-4, Georgian Court 0-2, Minnesota State Moorhead 3-6
LOCATION: Clermont, Fla. (PFX Spring Games)
RECAP: Northwood extended their win streak to five games Sunday evening (March 5), earning a 13-6 win over Georgian Court before downing Minnesota State Moorhead 7-0.
GEORGIAN COURT/NORTHWOOD HIGHLIGHTS
- Northwood used a dominating start to take control of the game early, scoring four runs in the first. Sydni Pauley hit a three-run homer, her team-leading fifth of the season, to get NU on the board. Courtney Wensley then had an RBI single later in the inning.
- The Timberwolves then blew the game open in the second, adding eight runs without an extra base hit. Pauley got Northwood going once again with an RBI single to make the score 5-0. After an Abby Joseph RBI walk with the bases loaded, Jennifer Wontorcik had an RBI single to make it 7-0. Wensley was then hit by a pitch with the bases loaded, which was followed by a Meghan Franz walk to extend the lead to 9-0. Danielle Bartodziej had an RBI single, while Riley Ostapowicz added another bases-loaded walk to make it 11-0. NU's final run of the inning came on a wild pitch. In all Northwood scored eight runs on three hits, thanks in large part to six walks, two hit batters and a wild pitch in the inning.
- After Georgian Court got on the board in top of the third with a run, the Timberwolves got a run in the bottom of the inning on a Sydni Culps RBI fielder's choice which scored Torriya Gray-Baker to make the score 13-1.
- The Lions kept the game going by scoring two in the fourth and three more in the fifth, but the Timberwolves held them off the board in the final two innings to earn the win.
GEORGIAN COURT/NORTHWOOD STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors Georgian Court: 6/8/1, Northwood: 13/8/1
- Runners Left on Base: Georgian Court: 4, Northwood: 10
- Winning Pitcher: Vanessa Ewing (2-2): 4 IP, 5 H, 3 R, 4 K
- Losing Pitcher: Marissa Trezza (0-1), 1 1/3 IP, 3 H, 9 R, 6 BB
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Pauley: 2-2, HR, 4 RBI, 2 R
- Wensley: 1-1, 2 RBI, R
- Bartodziej: 2-3, R, RBI
MINNESOTA STATE MOORHEAD/NORTHWOOD HIGHLIGHTS
- Northwood got off to a good start again against Moorhead, scoring a pair of runs in the first inning on an RBI single by Andria Gietl and an error.
- The Timberwolves extended their lead in the top of the fourth inning thanks to the bottom of the order. Laura Walton, the ninth hitter in the lineup, hit a two-out homer to make the score 4-0.
- The score remained 4-0 until the seventh inning, when Wontorcik came through with another big two-out hit. Her double with the bases loaded scored three and extended the lead to 7-0.
- Northwood's pitching made the early lead hold up, as a pair of pitchers combined to allow just one hit while striking out eight.
MINNESOTA STATE MOORHEAD/NORTHWOOD STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors: Minnesota State Moorhead: 0/1/2, Northwood: 7/8/1
- Runners Left on Base: Minnesota State Moorhead: 5, Northwood: 5
- Winning Pitcher: Taylor Wright (4-1) 4 IP, 0 R, 1 H, 5 K, 2 BB
- Losing Pitcher: Jordan Hall (0-4) 6 1/3 IP, 7 R (6 ER), 7 H, 4 K, 6 BB
- Save: Vanessa Ewing (1) 3 IP, 0 H, 3 K
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Wontorcik: 2-3, 2B, 3 RBI
- Walton: 1-3, HR (1), 2 RBI
- Gietl: 2-4, RBI
- Bartodziej: 2-4, R
- The five-game winning streak for is the longest for Northwood since the 2015 season, when NU won seven straight April 11-16.
- The Timberwolves will continue play in Florida Monday (March 6), taking on Cedarville at 10:30 a.m. before facing Lewis at 1 p.m.