OVERVIEW – DAVENPORT
SCORES: Davenport Panthers 7 Northwood Timberwolves 5; Northwood 4, Davenport 2
RECORDS: Northwood 9-13, Davenport 20-2
LOCATION: Farmer Stadium – Grand Rapids, Mich.
RECAP: Northwood split a doubleheader at Davenport Sunday (March 19), with DU winning game one 7-5 before the Timberwolves responded with a 4-2 win in the nightcap.
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- Davenport opened the scoring in the first inning with a single run.
- The score remained 1-0 until the third inning when redshirt freshman Torriya Gray-Baker hit her first career home run to level the score.
- The Panthers went back on top in the fifth inning on a two-run homer to make the score 3-1
- The sixth inning proved to be the wildest inning of the contest, as both teams score four innings in the frame. Northwood got things started in the top of the inning with a two-run homer by Sydni Pauley, her eighth of the season, to tie the game 3-3.
- Meghan Franz then put the Timberwolves on top for the first time with a two-run single to make the score 5-3.
- That lead was short-lived, however, as the Panthers plated four in the bottom of the inning. DU had three hits in the inning and were helped by a pair of Northwood errors.
- Northwood got one runner on base in the seventh but were unable to do any more.
GAME 1 STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors Northwood: 5/7/3 ,Davenport: 7/8/1
- Runners Left on Base: Northwood 5, Davenport 6
- Winning Pitcher: Mallory Teunissen (10-1) 1 1/3 IP in relief, 1 K
- Losing Pitcher: Vanessa Ewing (3-7): 6 IP, 7 R (5 ER), 8 H, 5 K, 5 BB
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Pauley: 1-3, HR (8), 2 RBI
- Gray-Baker: 1-2, HR (1), RBI
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- Davenport got on the board first in game two thanks to a solo homer.
- Northwood took the lead in the third inning thanks to a pair of runs. Hayley D'Avilar had a sacrifice fly, which was followed by an Andria Gietl RBI single to put Northwood up 2-1.
- After another Panther solo homer tied the score in the fifth, Northwood went on top for good with runs in the sixth and the seventh. Abby Joseph plated Pauley on an RBI single to make the score 3-2. Franz then had a solo homer, the first of her career, in the seventh to round out the scoring.
GAME 2 STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors: Northwood: 4/8/0, Davenport: 2/5/1
- Runners Left on Base: Northwood: 5, Davenport: 3
- Winning Pitcher: Marissa Tiano (1-1) 7 IP, 2 R, 5 H, 4 K
- Losing Pitcher: Mallory Teunissen (10-2) 7 IP, 8 H, 4 R (3 ER), 8 K
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Franz: 2-3, HR (1), 2 R, RBI
- Danielle Bartodziej: 2-4, 2 2B, R
- Joseph: 2-3, 2B, RBI
- The Timberwolves will host their home and GLIAC opener Saturday (March 25). The doubleheader will get under way at 1 p.m.