OVERVIEW – WALSH
SCORES: Northwood Timberwolves 6, Walsh Cavaliers 1; Northwood 10, Walsh 5
RECORDS: Northwood 12-13, 2-0 GLIAC/Walsh 7-14, 0-2 GLIAC
LOCATION: WU Softball Complex – North Canton, Ohio
RECAP: Northwood opened Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference play (GLIAC) with a sweep over Walsh Friday (March 24). NU won game one 6-1 before posting a 10-5 victory in game two.D
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- Northwood got on the board first in the bottom of the second inning. Jennifer Wontorcik led the inning off the inning with a triple and then scored on an RBI groundout by Abby Joseph to put NU up 1-0.
- The score remained 1-0 until the bottom of the fourth inning when another Wontorcik extra base hit got the Timberwolves going. Her leadoff double eventually led to a Torriya Gray-Baker RBI single to put NU up 2-0.
- NU then made the score 4-0 in the bottom of the fifth. Sydni Pauley had an RBI triple that scored Riley Ostapowicz, which was followed by an RBI for Andria Gietl on a fielding error.
- Walsh responded with a run on a solo homer in the top of the sixth, but Northwood came right back with two more runs in the bottom of the inning. Hayley D'Avilar's RBI triple scored Lexi Rabidue. D'Avilar then scored on Sydni Pauley's RBI single to put the final run of the game on the board.
GAME 1 STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors Northwood: 6/8/1, Walsh: 1/10/2
- Runners Left on Base: Northwood 8, Walsh 10
- Winning Pitcher: Vanessa Ewing (4-7): 7 IP, 1 R, 10 H (nine singles), 1 K, 1 BB
- Losing Pitcher: Olivia Pifer (3-9): 6 IP, 6 R, 8 H, 2 K, 5 BB
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Pauley: 3-4, 3B, 2B, 2 RBI, R
- Wontorcik: 2-3, 3B, 2B, R
- D'Avilar: 1-3, 3B, RBI, R, BB
GAME 1 NOTES
- Northwood had three different players get triples in the game: D'Avilar, Pauley and Wontorcik. They entered the game with one triple as a team on the year (D'Avilar).
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- Northwood's bats came out fast in game two, as the Timberwolves plated four runs in the first inning. Wontorcik stayed hot at the plate with a two-run double that scored Pauley and Gietl. Joseph then added a two-run double of her own that scored Gray-Baker and Wontorcik.
- The Timberwolves extended their lead in the second inning thanks to D'Avilar. Her three-run homer scored Danielle Bartodziej and Meghan Franz and put Northwood up 7-0/
- The Cavaliers fought back with three runs of their own in the bottom of the second, but Northwood came right back with another big inning in the third. NU scored three runs in the third thanks to RBI groundouts from Bartodziej and D'Avilar as well as a Pauley run-scoring single. That put the Northwood lead at 10-3.
- The Cavaliers scored a pair in the sixth but that was as close as they came.
GAME 2 STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors: Northwood: 10/12/0, Walsh: 5/9/2
- Runners Left on Base: Northwood: 8, Walsh: 7
- Winning Pitcher: Marissa Tiano (2-1) 5 2/3 IP, 5 R, 7 H, 3 K
- Losing Pitcher: Ryan Kuula (4-5) 1 IP, 7 R (6 ER), 3 H
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- D'Avilar: 3-5, HR (1), R, 4 RBI
- Wontorcik: 2-2, 2B, 2 RBI, R
- Joseph: 2-4, 2B, 2 RBI
- The Timberwolves face Lake Erie in a neutral site doubleheader Saturday (March 25). Game time is set for 11 a.m.