OVERVIEW – LAKE ERIE
SCORES: Northwood Timberwolves 3, Lake Erie Storm 1; Lake Erie 13, Northwood 6
RECORDS: Northwood 13-14, 3-1 GLIAC/Lake Erie 4-10, 1-3 GLIAC
LOCATION: WU Softball Complex – North Canton, Ohio
RECAP: Northwood split a pair of neutral-site contests against Lake Erie Saturday (March 25) – NU took game one 3-1 before LE picked up a 13-6 victory in game two
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- The game was scoreless until the fourth inning, when all of the runs of the contest would be scored. Lake Erie got a two-out run-scoring single to take a 1-0 lead.
- Northwood responded with three two-out runs of their own in the bottom of the inning. Jennifer Wontorcik started the rally with a single that plated Riley Ostapowicz. Two batters later, Torriya Gray-Baker had two-run double that scored Abby Joseph and Caitlin Richardson and put the Timberwolves on top 3-1.
- Lake Erie got at least one runner on base in each of the final three innings of the game, but Vanessa Ewing held them off the board and gave Northwood the win.
GAME 1 STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors Northwood: 3/5/0, Lake Erie: 1/8/0
- Runners Left on Base: Northwood 4, Lake Erie 8
- Winning Pitcher: Vanessa Ewing (5-7): 7 IP, 1 R, 8 H, 3 K, 3 BB
- Losing Pitcher: Allyson Deemer (1-5): 4 IP, 4 R, 4 H, 1 K, 2 BB
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Ostapowicz: 2-3, 2B, R
- Gray-Baker: 1-2, 2B, 2 RBI
- D'Avilar: 1-3, 3B, RBI, R, BB
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- After a low-scoring contest in game one, both offenses came out firing in game two. The Timberwolves put four on the board in the top of the first inning. Ostapowicz started the scoring with a double that plated Danielle Bartodziej. After Hayley D'Avilar scored on a wild pitch, Gray Baker and Courtney Wensley earned RBIs of their own to put the Timberwolves up 4-0.
- But the Storm responded right away, getting a two-out grand slam in the bottom of the first to tie the game 4-4 after one inning.
- Ostapowicz put Northwood back on top in the top of the second with an RBI single, but that proved to be the Timberwolves' last lead of the game.
- Lake Erie scored two in the second and three more in the third to go up 9-5 after three innings.
- NU got within three runs in the fifth on a Gray-Baker RBI single, but the Storm responded with four runs in the bottom of the sixth to put the game away.
GAME 2 STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors: Northwood: 6/9/0, Lake Erie: 13/20/1
- Runners Left on Base: Northwood: 9, Lake Erie: 8
- Winning Pitcher: Hannah Shevenell (1-3) 4 IP, R, 5 H
- Losing Pitcher: Vanessa Ewing (5-8) 4 IP, 7 R, 13 H, 2 K
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Bartodziej: 2-3, 2B, 2 R
- Ostapowicz: 2-4, 2B, 2 RBI, R
- Gray-Baker: 1-3, 2 RBI
- The Timberwolves return to Ohio next weekend, traveling to Ashland Saturday (April 1). Teh doubleheader is scheduled to start at Noon.