OVERVIEW – GRAND VALLEY STATE
SCORES: Grand Valley State Lakers 3, Northwood 0/Grand Valley 7, Northwood 2
RECORDS: Northwood 14-22 (5-9 GLIAC), Grand Valley State 21-15 (9-5 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Midland, Mich. – Fisher Stadium
RECAP: Grand Valley State's pitching proves to be the difference in a doubleheader sweep over Northwood Friday (April 14), wining game one 3-0 before posting a 7-2 victory in the nightcap.
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- Vanessa Ewing got off to a great start for NU in the circle, not allowing a base runner until a single in the fifth inning.
- After GVSU got their first hit in the inning, the Lakers got on the board in the fifth with a run.
- The Lakers then added two more runs in the sixth to go up 3-0.
- Northwood just could not solve Grand Valley starter Allison Lipovsky, who struck out 15 batters in a complete game shutout allowing three hits and walking two.
GAME 1 STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors Northwood: 0/3/0, Grand Valley: 3/6/0
- Runners Left on Base: Northwood: 5, Grand Valley: 4
- Winning Pitcher: Allison Lipovsky (9-3) 7 IP, 3 H, 0R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 15 K
- Losing Pitcher: Vanessa Ewing (7-12) 7 IP, 6 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 5 K
TOP NU PERFORMERS
GAME 1 NOTES
- This was the 11th start that Ewing allowed three earned runs or less. Northwood is 5-6 in those games.
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- The Timberwolves got their first run of the day in the top of the second. After Sydni Pauley flared a single to left, Jennifer Wontorcik lined a double down the left field line to make it 1-0.
- Grand Valley State responded to their first deficit of the day right away, scoring two in the bottom of the second inning to go up 2-1.
- The Lakers had the bases loaded with one out in the fifth, but Ewing was able to hold GVSU to one run to make the score 3-1.
- GVSU broke the game open in the sixth with four runs, three of which came on a two-out, bases-clearing triple.
- The Timberwolves cut into the lead in the seventh Riley Ostapowicz found a gap in right-center field to score Gietl with two outs to make it 7-2, but that is as close as Northwood would get.
GAME 2 STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors Northwood: 2/6/1 Grand Valley: 7/11/0
- Runners Left on Base: Northwood: 7 Grand Valley: 8
- Winning Pitcher: Allie Grys (4-1), 5 IP, 3 H, R, 5 BB, 2 K
- Losing Pitcher: Vanessa Ewing (7-13), 5.1 IP, 10 H, 6 R, 2 BB 4 K
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Courtney Wensley: 2-3
- Ostapowicz: 1-3, RBI, BB
- Wontorcik: 1-2, RBI, BB
- The Timberwolves will host Ferris State for another GLIAC doubleheader Saturday (April 15). First pitch is set for 1 p.m.