OVERVIEW – KUTZTOWN AND CALIFORNIA (PA.)
SCORES: Northwood Timberwolves 6, Kutztown Golden Bears 4; Northwood 8, Cal (Pa.) Vulcans 3
RECORDS: Northwood 3-2, Kutztown 5-6/Cal (Pa.) 1-5
LOCATION: Legends Way – Clermont, FL.
RECAP: Softball sweeps Kutztown 6-4 and Cal (Pa.) 8-3 to open up play at the PFX Spring Games in Florida Saturday (March 10).
- Kutztown opened up the scoring in the top of the first with a sacrifice fly to go up 1-0.
- Northwood immediately tied the score in the bottom of the inning on a Sydni Pauley RBI double.
- The Timberwolves extended their lead one inning later with a trio of runs. Lauren Castellon started the rally with an RBI single to make the score 2-1.
- Pauley made it 3-1 with a bases loaded walk, which was followed by a Torriya Gray-Baker run-scoring single to make the score 4-1 after two innings.
- Tara Gross came through with a clutch infield single that scored a pair, thanks to heads-up base running by Meghan Franz, who scored all the way from second to make the score 6-1.
- Kutztown fought back, scoring two in the fourth and one in the sixth to take it 6-4, but starter Taylor Wright closed out the complete game victory with a 1-2-3 seventh inning.
GAME ONE STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors Northwood: 6/10/1, Kutztown: 4/5/1
- Runners Left on Base: Northwood: 7, Kutztown: 7
- Winning Pitcher: Taylor Wright (2-1): 7.0 IP, 5 H, 4 R, 4 BB, 7 K
- Losing Pitcher: Erin Fortney (0-2): 2.2 IP, 6 R, 6 H, 5 BB
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Gray-Baker: 3-4, 2 2B, RBI
- Castellon: 2-2, 2B, R, RBI
- Pauley: 1-3, 2 RBI, 2B
- T. Gross: 1-3, 2 R, 2 RBI
CALIFORNIA (PA.) HIGHLIGHTS
- Northwood wasted little time getting on the board in the top of the first thanks to a Gray-Baker two-run homer to open up the scoring.
- Cal (Pa.) scored three runs in the bottom of the first to take the 3-2 lead.
- The Timberwolves responded with a pair of runs in the top of the second to regain the lead 4-3. Castellon drove in a run on a RBI single to right field, followed by a T. Gross sacrifice fly to drive in Mikayla Gronback.
- In the fourth inning, Castellon plated two in her next at bat with a single out to right field, followed by a Godlewski run-scoring single to extend Northwood's lead 7-3.
- Godlewski added to NU's lead in the sixth with a two-run RBI single to make it 8-3.
GAME TWO STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors Northwood: 8/12/1, Cal (Pa.): 3/5/2
- Runners Left on Base: Northwood: 4, Cal (Pa.): 3
- Winning Pitcher: Shayna Frank (1-0): 7.0 IP, 5 H, 3 R, BB, 3 K
- Losing Pitcher: E. Downing (0-1): 3.2 IP, 6 H, 6 R
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- T. Gross: 2-4, R, RBI
- Godlewski: 2-4, 2 RBI
- Gray-Baker: 1-4, 2 RBI, R, HR
- Castellon: 1-3, 3 RBI, R
- After a Vulcans' triple in the first inning, Frank did not allow a hit until two outs in the bottom of the sixth. In that stretch, she retired 15 batters in her first career start.
- The Timberwolves will continue play at the PFX Spring Games with two games Sunday (March 11). Game one is against Le Moyne at 10 am, and game two is against Bemidji St. at 2:30 pm.