OVERVIEW – LE MOYNE AND BEMIDJI STATE
SCORES: Northwood Timberwolves 6, Le Moyne Dolphins 1; Northwood 5, Bemidji St. Beavers 1
RECORDS: Northwood 5-2; Le Moyne 14-5 / Bemidji St. 2-7
LOCATION: Hancock Park – Clermont, FL.
RECAP: Softball posts its second sweep at Florida with a 6-1 victory over Le Moyne and a 5-1 win over Bemidji St. Sunday (March 11).
LE MOYNE HIGHLIGHTS
- The first inning was a pitchers' dual between Taylor Wright and Lauren Nichols, as neither team was able to get a hit.
- Northwood got into rhythm in the second inning and jumped out to the early 1-0 lead thanks to Lauren Castellon's first RBI single of the day. During the next at bat, Tara Gross hit a sacrifice fly to plate Danielle Bartodziej to make it 2-0.
- In the third inning with two outs, Abby Joseph hit a solo home run out over center field to make it 3-0. Castellon came up clutch later in the inning with a two-run scoring single to make it 5-0.
- Sydni Pauley recorded the second NU home run of the game with a solo shot out to center field to push the Timberwolves' lead to 6-0.
- Le Moyne cut into Northwood's lead in the bottom of the seventh to make it 6-1 for their only run of the day.
GAME ONE STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors Northwood: 6/7/1, Le Moyne: 1/5/1
- Runners Left on Base: Northwood: 7, Le Moyne: 6
- Winning Pitcher: Taylor Wright (3-1): 7.0 IP, 5 H, 1 R, 1 BB, 10 K
- Losing Pitcher: Lauren Nichols (2-1): 2.2 IP, 4 R, 3 ER, 5 H, 3 BB
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Pauley: 1-3, R, RBI, HR
- Joseph: 1-4, R, RBI, HR
- Castellon: 2-2, 3 RBI
- Bartodziej: 2-4, 2 R
- Joseph's solo homer in the third inning was the first home run of her collegiate career.
BEMIDJI ST. HIGHLIGHTS
- Northwood opened up the scoring in the bottom of the second on a T. Gross RBI triple to score Castellon.
- A trio of RBI doubles by Castellon, Karli Godlewski, and Torriya Gray-Baker respectively in the fourth inning plated three more runs to make it 4-0.
- In the fifth inning, NU increased its lead by adding a second T. Gross run-scoring single to make it 5-0.
- With two outs in the seventh, Bemidji St. got on the board to make it 5-1. The Beavers had the chance to knot the game at five a piece with the game tying run up to bat, but could not complete the rally as third baseman Chase Schultz caught a pop up in foul territory to give the Timberwolves the victory.
GAME TWO STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors Northwood: 5/11/2, Bemidji St.: 1/3/1
- Runners Left on Base: Northwood: 9, Bemidji St.: 8
- Winning Pitcher: Shayna Frank (2-0): 7.0 IP, 3 H, R, 2 BB, 6 K
- Losing Pitcher: Sami Dullum (2-3): 3.1 IP, 8 H, 4 R
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- T. Gross: 3-4, 2 RBI, 3B
- Castellon: 3-3, 2 R, 2B, RBI
- Godlewski: 1-4, R, 2B, RBI
- The Timberwolves will continue play at the PFX Spring Games with two games Monday (March 12). Game one against Lock Haven is set for 9 am, and game two is against Slippery Rock at 11:30 am.