OVERVIEW – LOCK HAVEN AND SLIPPERY ROCK
SCORES: Lock Haven Bald Eagles 9, Northwood Timberwolves 7; Northwood 8, Slippery Rock 0
RECORDS: Northwood 6-3; Lock Haven 2-5 / Slippery Rock 9-6
LOCATION: Hancock Park – Clermont, FL.
RECAP: Softball splits a pair of games at the PFX Spring Games Monday (March 11), dropping game one to Lock Haven 9-7 and blanking Slippery Rock 8-0.
LOCK HAVEN HIGHLIGHTS
- The Timberwolves got on the board first in the bottom of the first inning thanks to a sacrifice fly by Abby Joseph to score one run.
- Lock Haven quickly responded in the top of the second with 5 runs to make it 5-1. In the next inning, LHU went up 7-1 with two-run home run.
- Northwood ended up scoring 6 straight runs in the third to tie the game 7-7. Joseph got the rally started with a two-run scoring double, followed up by a Sydni Culps two-run home run to record her first collegiate home run. With runners at first and third, Lauren Castellon had a run-scoring single, whileT. Gross followed up with a bunt that scored Meghan Franz from second base thanks to heads up base running.
- Lock Haven broke the tie and scored the last two runs of the game in the sixth inning.
- Northwood threatened to score in the bottom of the seventh with two runners on, but could not complete the comeback.
GAME ONE STATS
- Runs/Hits/Error: Northwood: 7/12/3, Lock Haven: 9/10/1
- Runners Left on Base: Northwood: 10, Lock Haven: 7
- Winning Pitcher: B. Slattery (1-0): 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 3 BB, 2 K
- Losing Pitcher: Shayna Frank (2-1): 5.0 IP, 5 H, 3 R, 6 K
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- T. Gross: 2-5, R, RBI
- Joseph: 1-3, 2 RBI, 2 R, 2B
- Culps: 2-4, 2 RBI, HR
SLIPPERY ROCK HIGHLIGHTS
- Northwood struck first and did not look back. Chase Schultz lead the charge in the top of the second with a RBI double to plate Sydni Pauley and advance Julia Gross to third. Mikala Gronback added a run-scoring double during the next at bat to go up 2-0 early in the game.
- The Timberwolves had their best inning of the day in the fourth and scored five runs. J. Gross got the scoring started by capitalizing on a wild pitch to steal home and make it 3-0. Karli Godlewski added an RBI single later in the inning to go up 4-0, followed by a Torriya Gray-Baker three-run homer to make it 7-0.
- In the seventh inning, Grace Dutoi hit a sacrifice fly to plate a run and push the Timberwolves' lead to 8-0 for the final run of the day. Taylor Wright had the complete game victory against SRU and recorded 11 strikeouts in the win.
GAME TWO STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors Northwood: 8/8/1, Slippery Rock: 0/4/2
- Runners Left on Base: Northwood: 8, Slippery Rock: 5
- Winning Pitcher: Taylor Wright (4-1): 7.0 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 11 K
- Losing Pitcher: Paige Flore (1-1): 3.1 IP, 4 H, 5 R
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Gray-Baker: 2-4, R, 3 RBI, HR
- Godlewski: 1-3, R, RBI
- Schultz: 1-2, 2 R, RBI, 2B
- Gronback: 2-4, RBI, 2 2B
- The Timberwolves will continue play at the PFX Spring Games with two games Tuesday (March 13). Game one against Sioux Falls is set for 9 am, and game two is against Southern New Hampshire at 11:30 am.