OVERVIEW – SIOUX FALLS AND SOUTHERN NEW HAMPSHIREf
SCORES: Sioux Falls Cougars 9, Northwood Timberwolves 5; Northwood 7, Southern New Hampshire 2
RECORDS: Northwood 6-4; Sioux Falls 5-8 / Southern New Hampshire 12-1
LOCATION: Hancock Park – Clermont, FL.
RECAP: Softball posts a split at the PFX Spring Games Tuesday (March 11), dropping game one to Sioux Falls before defeating previously unbeaten Southern New Hampshire in game two.
SIOUX FALLS HIGHLIGHTS
- Sioux Falls scored three runs in the top of the first and the early lead. In the second, the Cougars increased their lead with a two-run home run to go up 5-0.
- The Timberwolves cut into the Cougars' lead to score their first run of the game on a Sydni Pauley home run.
- In the bottom of the third with the bases loaded, a fielding error allowed Shayna Frank to reach first base and opened up a two-run scoring opportunity to make the score 5-3.
- A two-run homer by USF allowed the Cougars to give them a 7-3 lead.
- The Timberwolves responded with a Torriya Gray-Baker RBI single in the sixth to cut the deficit to 7-4.
- An inning later, Abby Joseph added a run-scoring single to make it 7-5, but that would be the closest the Timberwolves would get.
- Sioux Falls added two home runs in the seventh inning to take the 9-5 win.
GAME ONE STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors Northwood: 5/8/0, Sioux Falls: 9/11/1
- Runners Left on Base: Northwood: 8, Sioux Falls: 5
- Winning Pitcher: K. Hoshaw (1-3): 4.0 IP, 4 H, 4 R, 1 BB, 2 K
- Losing Pitcher: Shayna Frank (2-2): 3.1 IP, 9 H, 7 R, 1 K
TOP NU PERFORMERS
SOUTHERN NEW HAMPSHIRE HIGHLIGHTS
- Northwood wasted no time getting on the board in the first with a Pauley RBI double to make it 1-0.
- The second inning was the biggest inning for the Timberwolves, as they put 5 runs on the board. Tara Gross started the scoring rally with a RBI double that scored Mikala Gronback and advanced Jordyn Look to third. A pass ball allowed Look to capitalize and score and put T. Gross in scoring position. Gray-Baker later grounded out to second base that plated a run.
- With two outs and a runner on second, Joseph capped off the scoring rally with a two-run homer over center field to make it 6-0 in Northwood's favor.
- In the fourth inning, Southern New Hampshire put their first run up on the board with an RBI single to make it 6-1.
- NU was able to regain its six-run lead over SNHU and go up 7-1 in the top of the fifth due to Pauley's solo home run, making it her second home run on the day.
- Southern New Hampshire would score its final run in the bottom of the fifth on a sacrifice fly.
GAME TWO STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors Northwood: 7/10/0, Southern New Hampshire: 2/5/0
- Runners Left on Base: Northwood: 5, Southern New Hampshire: 8
- Winning Pitcher: Taylor Wright (5-1): 7.0 IP, 5 H, 2 R, 3 BB, 10 K
- Losing Pitcher: Maddy Barone (6-1): 5.1 IP, 4 H, 1 R
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- T. Gross: 3-4, R, RBI 2B
- Joseph: 3-4, 2 RBI, R, HR, 2B
- Pauley: 2-4, 2 RBI, R, HR, 2B
- The Timberwolves will have an off day before continuing play at the PFX Spring Games with two games Thursday (March 115). Game one against Molloy is at 10:30 am, and game two against St. Michael's is set for 1:00 pm.