OVERVIEW – MOLLOY AND ST. MICHAEL'S
SCORES: Molloy Lions 7, Northwood Timberwolves 5; Northwood 4, St. Michael's Purple Knights 1
RECORDS: Northwood 8-5; Molloy 8-8 / St. Michael's 2-7
LOCATION: Hancock Park – Clermont, FL.
RECAP: Softball posts a split at the PFX Spring Games Thursday (March 15), dropping game one to Molloy before defeating St. Michael's in game two.
- Molloy scored the first two runs of a day on a two-run RBI double in the bottom of the first.
- Northwood got on the board in the top of the third to make it 2-1 thanks to a Lauren Castellon home run.
- The Timberwolves tied the game at two runs each in the fourth on Sydni Culps' RBI double.
- The Lions regained the lead in the bottom of the fourth on a run-scoring single to make the game 3-2.
- NU rallied and scored three big runs in the fifth to go up 5-3. Chase Schultz got things started for the Timberwolves on an RBI double. Abby Joseph added a run-scoring single to plate Schultz. With the bases loaded, Culps had her second RBI of the day when she was walked and scored Torriya Gray-Baker.
- Molloy responded back in the bottom of the fifth with a two-run home run to tie the game at 5-5.
- Both Northwood and Molloy had a 1-2-3 sixth inning. In the seventh, the Timberwolves had the bases loaded with two outs, but could not get the run to regain the lead.
- In the eighth inning, Molloy had a two-run walk off home run to win the game 7-5.
GAME ONE STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors Northwood: 5/6/0, Molloy: 7/7/2
- Runners Left on Base: Northwood: 10, Molloy: 2
- Winning Pitcher: Tonianne Larson (1-1): 5.2 IP, 5 H, 5 R, 1 BB, 0 K
- Losing Pitcher: Taylor Wright (5-2): 3.2 IP, 1 H, 2 R, 4 K
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Joseph: 2-4, R, RBI
- Culps: 1-2, 2 RBI
- Castellon: 1-3, R, HR
- Schultz: 1-4, R, RBI, 2B
ST. MICHAEL'S HIGHLIGHTS
- Sydni Pauley got things rolling for the Timberwolves in the first inning with a two-run home run. Brook Wauters added a run-scoring single later in the inning to give NU the early 3-0 lead over St. Michael's.
- St. Michael's had an RBI single in the top of the fifth to get the Purple Knights on the board and make it 3-1.
- As the leadoff batter in the bottom of the sixth inning, Wauters came through once again, this time with a solo home run to give Northwood the 4-1 lead.
- Taylor Wright came in to pitch in the sixth inning and only allowed two hits for the save.
GAME TWO STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors Northwood: 4/10/0, St. Michael's: 1/8/1
- Runners Left on Base: Northwood: 9, St. Michael's: 8
- Winning Pitcher: Shayna Frank (3-2): 5.0 IP, 6 H, R, 1 BB, 5 K
- Losing Pitcher: Torie Rathwell (0-4): 6.0 IP, 10 H, 4 R
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Pauley: 2-4, 2 RBI, R, HR
- Wauters: 2-3, 2 RBI, R, HR
- Wauters' home run in the sixth inning was the first home run of her collegiate career.
- The Timberwolves will have an off day before continuing play at the PFX Spring Games with two games Friday (March 16) at Legends Way. Game one against Millersville is at 11:30 am, and game two against Minn.-Crookston is set for 2:00 pm.