OVERVIEW – BLOOMSBURG AND #20 SOUTHERN NEW HAMPSHIRE
SCORES: Northwood Timberwolves 2, Bloomsburg Huskies 0; Northwood 7, #20 Southern New Hampshire Penmen 0
RECORDS: Northwood 12-5; Bloomsburg 6-8 / Southern New Hampshire 17-3
LOCATION: Hancock Park – Clermont, FL.
RECAP: Northwood finishes its Florida trip with a pair of shut out victories, defeating Bloomsburg 2-0 and #20 Southern New Hampshire 7-0 Saturday (March 17).
- The starting pitchers and defense for Northwood and Bloomsburg were the story of the game. The Timberwolves finally broke through the scoreless tie in the top of the fifth inning with a pair of runs.
- Sydni Culps's run-scoring single the middle was set up by a sacrifice bunt by Torriya Gray-Baker to advance a Northwood runner to second.
- With two outs in the fifth, Danielle Bartodziej later reached first on a fielding error and allowed the Timberwolves to plate their second run of the game to make it 2-0.
- Taylor Wright closed out the complete game with three strikeouts. From the fifth to seventh innings, she only allowed one hit by the Huskies in the final three innings after the Timberwolves got on the board.
GAME ONE STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors Northwood: 2/3/2, Bloomsburg: 0/4/1
- Runners Left on Base: Northwood: 2, Bloomsburg: 5
- Winning Pitcher: Taylor Wright (7-2): 7.0 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K
- Losing Pitcher: T. Baney (7-3): 7.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 1 K
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Culps: 1-3, RBI
- In the last two days, Northwood has won two games when scoring two runs or less (2-1 vs. Millersville, 1-0 vs. Bloomsburg). Prior to that, the Timberwolves had dropped 18 straight when they scored two or less runs. NU's last win when with two or less runs came April 16, 2016 (1-0 vs. Walsh). Northwood was 1-33 in their last 34 games when scoring two or less runs.
#20 SOUTHERN NEW HAMPSHIRE HIGHLIGHTS
- Northwood's first run of the game was scored in the top of the second when Brooke Wauters was walked with the bases loaded. Lauren Castellon added a two-run RBI double to make the score 3-0 in Northwood's favor early on.
- The Timberwolves added another pair of runs in the fifth inning to make it 4-0. With two outs and Tara Gross on third base, Gray-Baker reached first on a fielding error by the first basemen and opened up the opportunity for T. Gross to score a run. Julia Gross then added a run-scoring single during the next play to push the score to 5-0.
- In the seventh, Abby Joseph led off the inning for NU with a solo home run to center field. Wauters added an RBI later in the inning to give Northwood the 7-0 lead.
- Shayna Frank had the complete game win in the circle for the Timberwolves. She allowed three hits while walking two batters and striking out three.
GAME TWO STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors Northwood: 7/11/0, Southern New Hampshire: 0/3/2
- Runners Left on Base: Northwood: 8, Southern New Hampshire: 5
- Winning Pitcher: Shayna Frank (5-2): 7.0 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 3 K
- Losing Pitcher: Ali Atherton (1-1): 7.0 IP, 11 H, 7 R
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Joseph: 2-4, R, RBI, HR
- J. Gross: 2-3, R, RBI
- Wauters: 2-3, 2 RBI, 2B
- Castellon: 1-3, 2 RBI, 2B
- Southern New Hampshire only has three losses on the season to date, with two of those three losses coming from Northwood.
- Northwood had three shutouts the entire 2017 season. During the PFX Spring Games alone, NU recorded three shutouts to match last year's total.
- The Timberwolves will begin GLIAC play with a doubleheader at Davenport Wednesday (March 21). Game times are set for 3:30 and 5:30 pm.