OVERVIEW – FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY
SCORES: Northwood Timberwolves 5, Ferris State Bulldogs 2; Northwood 2, Ferris State 1
RECORDS: Northwood 14-13 (2-8 GLIAC), Ferris State 7-17 (1-7 GLIAC)
LOCATION: FSU Softball Field – Big Rapids, Mich.
RECAP:The Timberwolves sweeps Ferris State 5-3 and 2-1 to give the Timberwolves their first GLIAC victories of the season Friday (March 30).
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS
- Ferris State scored the game's first run in the bottom of the sixth for the 1-0 lead.
- In the top of the third inning with the bases loaded, Maddie Coulter hit a grand slam to give the Timberwolves the 4-1 lead and did not look back.
- The Bulldogs hit their own home run in the bottom of the fifth to cut Northwood's lead to 4-2.
- Northwood tacked on the final run of the game in the top of the sixth on a Sydni Culps sacrifice fly to plate Taylor Schmitt.
- NU held Ferris State to one hit during their final two innings to earn the 5-2 victory.
- Shayna Frank earned her sixth complete game victory of the season, allowing five hits and striking out six.
GAME ONE STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors Northwood: 5/9/0, Ferris State: 2/5/0
- Runners Left on Base: Northwood: 5, Ferris State: 4
- Winning Pitcher: Shayna Frank (6-6): 7.0 IP, 5 H, 2 R, 1 BB, 6 K
- Losing Pitcher: Sam Bates (3-8): 7.0 IP, 9 H, 5 R, 3 BB, 4 K
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Northwood picked up its first GLIAC win of the season, snapping an eight-game losing streak.
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS
- Ferris State scored the first run of the game in the bottom of the first.
- In the top of the fifth, Northwood plated their first run to tie the game 1-1. An error by the Bulldogs' first basemen with the bases loaded opened up the scoring opportunity for the Timberwolves.
- With the game tied going into the top of the seventh, Maddie Coulter got the inning started with a leadoff walk, followed by a Chase Schultz sacrifice bunt to move Coulter in scoring position. Abby Joseph's RBI single up the middle plated Coulter from second base to take the lead.
- Northwood closed out the game with a 1-2-3 inning and to take the 2-1 win over Ferris.
- Shayna Frank picked up her second victory of the day with five strikeouts and 11 total strikeouts on the day.
GAME TWO STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors Northwood: 2/2/1, Ferris State: 1/4/3
- Runners Left on Base: Northwood: 4, Ferris State: 6
- Winning Pitcher: Shayna Frank (7-6): 6.2 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 1 BB, 5 K
- Losing Pitcher: Katie Ross (0-2): 7.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 9 BB, 5 K
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Joseph: 1-3, RBI
- Julia Gross: 1-3
- The Timberwolves will return to Fisher Stadium for a GLIAC doubleheader against Wayne State Tuesday (April 3). The doubleheader is set to start at 3 p.m.