OVERVIEW – SAGINAW VALLEY
SCORES: Saginaw Valley Cardinals 14, Northwood Timberwolves 13; Saginaw Valley 10, Northwood 2
RECORDS: Northwood 18-17 (6-12 GLIAC), Saginaw Valley 19-17 (10-8 GLIAC)
LOCATION: SVSU Softball Complex – University Center, Mich.
RECAP: Northwood drops a pair of GLIAC games at Saginaw Valley Sunday (April 22).
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS
- The Timberwolves struck first in the top of the first on Abby Joseph's RBI single.
- Saginaw Valley added a home run and a two-run RBI to go up 3-1 after the first inning.
- In the top of the second with runners on first and second, Meghan Franz hit a run-scoring RBI single to make it 3-2.
- The Cardinals erupted offensively, scoring 3 runs in the second and 6 runs in the third for the commanding 12-2 lead.
- Northwood began to cut down on Saginaw's lead in the fourth. With the bases loaded, Franz capitalized on a wild pitch to score from third, followed by Sydni Pauley and Torriya Gray-Baker added run-scoring RBIs to make it 12-6.
- The sixth inning was the biggest inning for the Timberwolves, as they scored six runs to make it a one run game. Tara Gross got the rally started for NU with a bang, sending the ball over the left field fence.
- Brook Wauters capitalized on a wild pitch to score, making it 12-7, and Joseph registered her second RBI of the game on a double to left center to cut the SVSU lead 12-8.
- The rally continued as a Julia Gross RBI groundout pushed another run across the plate. Culps added an RBI double to make it 12-10, with the final run of the sixth inning rally coming from Culps scoring on a fielding error.
- In the bottom of the sixth after a big six run inning by the Timberwolves, the Cardinals were able to get two insurance runs to go into the seventh with a 14-11 lead.
- Northwood wasn't going down without a fight. With Wauters getting the leadoff walk, Pauley made it 14-13 with a two-run homer over the left center fence, but that was as close as the Timberwolves were going to get.
GAME ONE STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors – Northwood: 13/14/0, Saginaw Valley: 14/15/2
- Runners Left on Base – Northwood: 9, Saginaw Valley: 9
- Winning Pitcher – Anna Conard (10-5): 4.1 IP, 10 H, 6 R (6 ER), 2 K, 2 BB
- Losing Pitcher – Makenzie Norton (3-3): 2.0 IP, 8 H, 6 R (6 ER), 1 K, 0 BB
- Save – Mikayla Alexandrou (1): 1.0, H, 2 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 2 SO
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Pauley: 3-4, 3 RBI, 2 R, HR
- Coulter: 2-3, 2 R
- Joseph: 2-5, 2 RBI, 2B
- T. Gross: 1-4, 2 R, RBI, HR
- Franz: 2-3, R, RBI, 2B
GAME ONE NOTES
- T. Gross hit her first collegiate home run, and just the second in her softball career.
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS
- Saginaw Valley put a run on the board in the bottom of the first for the early 1-0 lead.
- Northwood responded in the top of the second with a pair of runs to give the Timberwolves their final lead of the game. A groundout by Franz plated a run, followed by Danielle Bartodziej reaching first on a fielding error and giving Gray-Baker the opportunity to score to make it a 2-1 ball game.
- The Cardinals scored five runs in the bottom of the third to go up 6-2, followed by a pair in the fourth. Saginaw Valley put the game away in the bottom of the fifth with their final two runs for the 10-2 victory.
GAME TWO STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors – Northwood: 2/3/1, Saginaw Valley: 10/14/1
- Runners Left on Base – Northwood: 1, Saginaw Valley: 8
- Winning Pitcher – Mikayla Alexandrou (7-6): 5.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (1 ER), 5 K, 0 BB
- Losing Pitcher – Marissa Tiano (1-4): 2.1 IP, 7 H, 6 R (6 ER), 1 K, 3 BB
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Gray-Baker: 2-2, R
- Joseph: 1-2, R
- Franz: RBI
- Northwood will host Ashland in a GLIAC doubleheader on Senior Day Tuesday (April 24). First pitch is set for 3:30 p.m.