OVERVIEW – INDIANAPOLIS/SOUTHERN INDIANA
SCORES: Northwood Timberwolves 8, Indianapolis Greyhounds 3/Southern Indiana Screaming Eagles ??, Northwood
RECORDS: Northwood 1-3/Indianapolis 8-3/Southern Indiana 5-4
LOCATION: Westfield, Ind.
RECAP: Softball dropped a pair of wild neutral site games Saturday afternoon (February 23), falling 5-4 to Indianapolis and 15-9 to Southern Indiana.
- Indianapolis took advantage of defensive mistakes by the Timberwolves early on, scoring single unearned runs in the first and second innings to lead 2-0.
- The Greybounds then plated three more runs in the fourth to make the score 5-0.
- Northwood began their comeback in the top of the sixth inning on a Torriya Gray-Baker RBI single.
- The Timberwolves put up a big seventh inning, starting with a two-run single by Abby Joseph to make it 5-3.
- Sydni Culps then walked with the bases loaded to make the score 5-4.
- NU still had the bases loaded with one out in the seventh down by one run, but the Timberwolves were unable to plate the tying run.
- Runs/Hits/Errors Northwood: 4/7/5, Indianapolis: 5/8/1
- Runners Left on Base: Northwood: 9, Indianapolis: 10
- Winning Pitcher: Halie Waters (5-1) 6 1/3 IP, 7 H, 4 R, 6 K, 2 BB
- Losing Pitcher: Marissa Tiano (0-1) 6 IP, 8 H, 5 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 5 K
- Save: Lauren Honkomp (1): 2/3 IP, BB, K
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Joseph: 2-4, 2 RBI
- Gray-Baker: 2-3, RBI
- T. Gross: 2-4, R
SOUTHERN INDIANA HIGHLIGHTS
- Northwood got off to a tremendous start in the game against the defending national champions, starting with a three-run triple by Julia Gross in the opening inning.
- Culps then brought home Julia Gross on a fielder's choice to make the score 4-0 after one inning.
- NU kept the offense rolling in the second, starting with an RBI double by Grace Dutoi to make it 5-0.
- Gray-Baker had a sac fly to score Dutoi to push the edge to 6-0.
- Julia Gross then continued her hot start to the game, hitting a two-run homer to make the score 8-0.
- NU's lead remained 8-0 heading to the fifth inning, meaning the Timberwolves were three outs away from ending the game on the mercy rule. But that is when the Screaming Eagles put together a huge rally, scoring 12 runs in the fifth inning alone. The inning featured eight hits, three walks and a hit batter. That made the score 12-8 heading to the bottom of the fifth.
- Northwood did get one back in the bottom of the inning on a Tara Gross RBI double to make the score 12-9.
- That would be the last time the Timberwolves would score, however, as the Screaming Eagles closed out the win with two in the sixth and one in the seventh.
SOUTHERN INDIANA STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors: Northwood: 9/12/0, Southern Indiana 15/14/1
- Runners Left on Base: Northwood: 5, Southern Indiana: 7
- Winning Pitcher: Elissa Brown (1-1) 2 IP, 4 H, R, K
- Losing Pitcher: Tianno (0-2): 1/3, 4 H, 6 R, 3 BB
- Save: Jennifer Leonhardt (1): 3 IP, H, 2 K
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Julia Gross: 3-4, HR, 3B, 3 R, 5 RBIs
- Dutoi: 3-4, 2 R, RBI
- Coulter: 2-4, 2B, R
- The Timberwolves will head to Florida for their annual spring break trip starting March 9.