OVERVIEW – LE MOYNE/POST
SCORES: Northwood Timberwolves 9, Le Moyne Dolphins 1 (six innings)/Northwood 4, Post Eagles 3 (eight innings)
RECORDS: Northwood 3-5/Le Moyne 4/Post 1-1
LOCATION: Clermont, Fla.
RECAP: Softball picked up a pair of wins Sunday (March 10), downing Le Moyne 9-1 before earning a 4-3 comeback win over Post.
LE MOYNE HIGHLIGHTS
- Northwood got on the board in the top of the first inning on a Torriya Gray-Baker RBI groundout.
- The Timberwolves extended their lead in the third on an RBI fielder's choice by Abby Joseph to go up 2-0.
- NU broke the game open in the fourth inning with four runs. Tara Gross started the rally with a double.
- Maddie Coulter had a sacrifice fly to make it 4-0, which was followed by Gross scoring on a wild pitch.
- Grace Dutoi then finished the inning with an RBI single to push the lead to 6-0.
- In the sixth, Dutoi extended the lead with another RBI single.
- Gray-Baker push across two more runs with a double to get the advantage to 9-0.
- The Dolphins got one run back in the sixth but were unable to plate another, ending the game after six innings.
LE MOYNE STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors Northwood: 9/13/0, Le Moyne: 1/3/0
- Runners Left on Base: Northwood: 5, Le Moyne: 7
- Winning Pitcher: Shayna Frank (1-2): 6 IP, 3 H, R, 5 BB, 5 K
- Losing Pitcher: Skylar Rechner (1-1): 3 1/3 IP, 7 H, 5 R, BB, 0 K
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Dutoi: 3-4, R, 2 RBI
- Coulter: 2-2, 2 R, RBI
- Gray-Baker: 2-4, 2B, 3 RBI
- The starting pitchers were the story early in the Post game, as the contest was scoreless into the sixth inning.
- The Eagles had two outs and nobody on in the sixth when they put together a two-out rally, capped with an RBI single to take a 1-0 lead.
- Northwood was in a similar situation in the bottom of the seventh, as the first two batters were retired in the inning. After Mikala Gronback drew a walk, Coulter came up with a clutch double to tie the game 1-1.
- In extra innings with a runner placed on second to start the inning, Post wasted no time taking the lead back. The Eagles hit a two-run homer to go up 3-1.
- NU fought back one final team to earn the comeback win. Gray-Baker had an RBI single to cut the lead to 3-2.
- Sydney Culps followed with a double that plated Gray-Baker to level the score 3-3.
- April Bennett then closed out the win with a walk-off single that plated Julia Gross.
- Runs/Hits/Errors: Northwood: 4/6/0, Post 3/9/1
- Runners Left on Base: Northwood: 7, Post: 9
- Winning Pitcher: Marissa Tiano (1-3): 2 1/3 IP, 3 H, 2 R (1 ER), BB, K
- Losing Pitcher: Bridget Betley (0-1): 7 1/3 IP, 6 H, 4 R (3 ER), 5 BB, 2 K
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Six NU player: One hit each
- Coulter/Gray-Baker/Culps/Bennett: RBI
- Heather Diercks: 5 2/3 IP, 6 H, R, 3 BB, 2 K
- The Timberwolves will take on Quincy and Shepherd Monday (March 11) starting at 11:45 a.m.