OVERVIEW – #7 GRAND VALLEY STATE
SCORES: Grand Valley State Lakers 8, Northwood Timberwolves 5 (Six Innings)/Grand Valley State 14, Northwood 13
RECORDS: Northwood 18-13-1, 8-4 GLIAC/Grand Valley State 24-3, 7-1 GLIAC
LOCATION: GVSU Softball Field – Allendale, Mich.
RECAP: Softball drops a pair of game at No. 7 Grand Valley State, falling 8-0 in the opener before a big NU comeback falls short in a 14-13 loss in the nightcap.
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS
- The opening inning was a preview of the entire contest, as the Lakers scored an unearned run to go up 1-0.
- GVSU then added three in the third to make it 4-0.
- The Lakers closed the game out in the sixth with four runs.
- Northwood's defense let them down in the game, as five of Grand Valley State's eight runs were unearned.
GAME ONE STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors – Northwood: 0/5/4, Grand Valley State: 8/11/0
- Runners Left on Base – Northwood: 5, Grand Valley State: 8
- Winning Pitcher – Allison Lipovsky (12-1): 6 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 10 K
- Losing Pitcher – Shayna Frank (5-5): 5 1/3, 11 H, 8 R (3 ER), 2 BB, K
TOP NU PERFORMERS
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS
- After getting shutout in game one, Northwood wasted no time getting on the board of game two thanks to a two-run homer by Julia Gross.
- The Lakers responded in a big way, scoring one in the first, eight in the second and one in the third to open up a 10-2 lead.
- Just when it looked like the Timberwolves were going to drop a pair of shortened games, Northwood stormed back in the top of the fourth inning. Torriya Gray-Baker started the rally with an RBI double.
- Abby Joseph followed with a run-scoring double of her own to make the score 10-4.
- Maddie Coulter made it three runs in the inning with an RBI single.
- NU then got a bases-loaded walk by Taylor Schmitt to get within four at 10-6.
- Mikala Gronback got the Timberwolves within two with an RBI single.
- Tara Gross capped the rally with a two run single. In all, the Timberwolves plated eight runs in the fourth to come all the way back and tie the game 10-10.
- GVSU took the lead back in the bottom of the fifth on a two-run homer to make the score 12-10.
- Joseph came up big again in the top of the sixth inning, hitting a three-run homer to put Northwood back on top 13-12.
- The Lakers had the final bit hit of the game, coming through with a two-out, two-run single in the sixth inning that made the score 14-13.
- Northwood put the leadoff hitter on base in the top of the seventh but were unable to plate the tying run.
GAME TWO STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors Northwood: 13/11/3, Grand Valley State: 14/16/3
- Runners Left on Base: Northwood: 6, Grand Valley State: 7
- Winning Pitcher: Lipovsky (13-1): 2 IP, 2 H, R, 0 BB, 4 K
- Losing Pitcher: April Bennett (7-3): 1 1/3 IP, 7 H, 7 R (5 ER), 2 BB, K
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Joseph: 3-3, 2 2B, HR, 4 RBI, 2 R
- Coulter: 2-5, 2 R, RBI
- Tara Gross: 2-4, 2 R, 2 RBI
- Gray-Baker: 2-3, 2B, R, RBI
- The Timberwolves will host Davenport Wednesday (April 3). Game time is set for 3 p.m.