OVERVIEW – GLIAC TOURNAMENT (CHAMPIONSHIP ROUND)
SCORES: #8 Grand Valley State 2, Northwood Timberwolves 1
RECORDS: Northwood 31-26-1/Grand Valley State 44-8
LOCATION: Sandusky, Ohio
RECAP: Softball battles but falls 2-1 against No. 8 Grand Valley State in the final inning of the GLIAC Tournament Championship Sunday morning (May 5).
- The game was scoreless into the fourth inning when Northwood took the lead. After a Torriya Gray-Baker walk, Julia Gross doubled to left center to put Northwood on top 1-0.
- GVSU responded in the fourth, scoring on an error to tie the score at 1-1.
- The score remained that way until the seventh when the Lakers earned the win on a bases-loaded walk.
- Runs/Hits/Errors – Northwood: 1/2/2, Grand Valley State: 2/8/0
- Runners Left on Base – Northwood: 4, Grand Valley State: 7
- Winning Pitcher – Allison Lipovsky (W, 26-2): 7 IP, 2 H, R, 3 BB, 5 K
- Losing Pitcher – Taylor Wright (7-5): 7 IP, 5 H, R, 3 BB, 2 K
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- It was the first time since 2005 Northwood has reached the championship round of the GLIAC Tournament.
- Prior to today's 2-1 win over Northwood, GVSU had out-scored their opponents 28-4 in their victories at the GLIAC Tournament.
- The Timberwolves 31 wins this season are the most for NU since 2006 (37).
- Julia Gross' double was the 112th of the season for Northwood. The previous school record for doubles in a season at NU was 81. NU has five individual players this season stand on the individual list: Grace Dutoi (19 – first), Abby Joseph (16 – second), Tara Gross (15 – tied for third) and Torriya Gray-Baker (13 – tied for 10th) and Sydni Culps (12 – tied for 14th).
- Northwood has a chance for an at-large bid to the NCAA regional tournament. The field will be announced Monday morning (May 6) at 10 a.m. on NCAA.com.