OVERVIEW – PUERTO RICO MAYAGUEZ
SCORES: Northwood Timberwolves 6, Puerto Rico-Mayaguez Janes 0/Northwood 2, Mayaguez 1
RECORDS: Northwood 2-0/Mayaguez 0-2
LOCATION: San Juan, Puerto Rico
RECAP: Northwood opens their 2020 season with a pair of wins, downing Puerto Rico-Mayaguez 6-0 and 2-1 Saturday afternoon (February 8)
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- Northwood scored their first run of the season in the top of the first on a Grace Dutoi RBI fielder's choice to score Tara Gross.
- The Timberwolves broke the game open in the second quarter, starting with a Tara Gross RBI single.
- The big hit of the game came later in the second from Julia Gross. Her three-run homer gave Northwood a 5-0 lead.
- NU's final run of the game came in the fifth on a Sydni Culps sac fly.
- Northwood's Shayna Frank earned the complete-game shutout in the circle to give Northwood the win.
GAME 1 STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors Northwood: 6/9/0, Mayaguez: 0/3/1
- Runners Left on Base: Northwood: 5, Mayaguez: 6
- Winning Pitcher: Shayna Frank (1-0): 7 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 3 BB, 8 K
- Losing Pitcher: Robles (0-1): 7 IP, 9 H, 6 R, 2 BB, 2 K
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- J. Gross: 1-3, HR, 3 RBIs
- T. Gross: 2-4, 2 R, 2 RBIs
- Torriya Gray-Baker: 2-3, BB
GAME 2 STATS HIGHLIGHTS
- The Janes got on the board first with a single run in the top of the third inning.
- Northwood got both of their runs in the bottom of the fourth, starting with a Mikala Gronback RBI triple that scored Grace Dutoi
- Hayley Frank followed with an RBI single to make the score 2-1.
- Freshman pitcher Riley Shagena turned in an outstanding start in her first appearance as a Timberwolf. She struck out 10 while allowing one run on four hits in seven innings.
GAME 2 STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors: Northwood: 2/8/0, Mayaguez 1/40
- Runners Left on Base: Northwood: 6, Mayaguez: 5
- Winning Pitcher: Riley Shagena (1-0): 7 IP, 4 H, R, 10 K, 3 BB
- Losing Pitcher: Gonzalez (0-1) 6 IP, 8 H, 2 R, BB
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- The Timberwolves travel to Evansville, Indiana for six regional games over three days, starting with a contest against Quincy February 21.