OVERVIEW – LEWIS/HILLSDALE
SCORES: Lewis Flyers 7, Northwood Timberwolves 6/Northwood 7, Hillsdale Chargers 0
RECORDS: Northwood 2-2/Lewis 5-3/Hillsdale 0-2
LOCATION: The Dome At the Parkway Bank Sports Complex – Des Plaines, Ill.
RECAP: Northwood softball goes 1-1 for the second straight day, falling in game one 7-6 to Lewis before downing Hillsdale 7-0 Saturday afternoon (February 20).
- Northwood got off to a good start in the opening inning, plating three runs. NU got going on a sacrifice fly by Grace Dutoi. An error on the play allowed a second run to come home, making the score 2-0.
- Haley Frank added a sac fly of her own to make the score 3-0 after a half inning.
- The Flyers responded with a big second inning, pushing across five runs on five hits and a Northwood error.
- NU got one back in the third on a Mikayla Gronback RBI single to make the score 5-4.
- The Timberwolves tied the game one inning later on a Julia Gross run-scoring double.
- Lewis went back on top with single runs in the fifth and the sixth to lead 7-5 going to the final inning.
- Northwood did not go quietly in the final inning, cutting the lead to one on a Dutoi RBI double.
- NU had runners on first and second with one out trailing by one, but were unable to plate the tying run.
- Runs/Hits/Errors Northwood: 6/9/1, Lewis: 7/10/2
- Runners Left on Base: Northwood: 7, Lewis: 5
- Winning Pitcher – Kaelyn Leverson (1-0): 2 IP, 2 H, R, 2 K
- Losing Pitcher – Emily Cox (0-1): 2 1/3 IP, 2 H, R, BB, K
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Tara Gross: 2-4, 2B, 2 R
- Dutoi: 2B, 2 RBIs
- Julia Gross, 2B, RBI
- Haley Frank , Delanie Grundman , Samantha Slick: 2B each
- Northwood started fast again in their second game of the day, plating a pair of runs in the first inning. Tara Gross got the Timberwolves on the board with an RBI double
- Julia Gross followed with an RBI groundout to make the score 2-0.
- The score remained that way until the fifth inning when the Timberwolves broke things open. The Gross sisters started the rally thanks to a leadoff single by Tara which was followed by a run-scoring double by Julia to make the score 3-0.
- Dutoi then hit a two-run homer to make the score 5-0 in the fifth inning.
- NU added two more in the seventh, starting with a solo home run by Maddie Coulter.
- The final run of the day came on a Charger error, making the final score 7-0.
- Runs/Hits/Errors Northwood: 7/11/1, Hillsdale: 0/2/1
- Runners Left on Base: Northwood: 8, Hillsdale: 5
- Winning Pitcher – Shayna Frank (1-1): 7 IP, 4 H, 0 BB, 4 K
- Losing Pitcher – Julia Sayles (0-3): IP, 7 H, 5 R (4 ER)
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Dutoi: 2-4, HR, 2 RBIs
- Coulter: 2-4, HR, 2 R, RBI
- Tara Gross: 3-4, 3 R, RBI
- Julia Gross: 2-4, R, 2 RBIs
- The Timberwolves will play two more games at the Lewis Dome Invitational Saturday (February 20), taking on host Lewis at 2:30 p.m. and Hillsdale at 7 p.m.