OVERVIEW – GRAND VALLEY STATE
SCORES: Grand Valley State Lakers 6, Northwood Timberwolves 4/Grand Valley State Lakers 6, Northwood Timberwolves 4 (10 Innings)
RECORDS: Northwood (10-4, 2-2 GLIAC), Grand Valley (15-2, 6-0 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Fisher Stadium – Midland, MI.
RECAP: Northwood softball drops a pair of 6-4 games to No. 19 Grand Valley State Sunday afternoon (March 28).
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS
- The Lakers got on the board first, scoring two runs in the top of the first inning to take a 2-0 lead.
- Northwood responded with a run of their own in the bottom of the first. An RBI single from Makayla Gronback scored Tara Gross to put the score at 2-1.
- Grand Valley plated two more runs in the third inning, extending their lead to 4-1.
- The Timberwolves took advantage of loaded bases in the bottom of the fourth. Tara Gross singled up the middle to score Lauren Costellon. Grace Dutoi added a single to center field, scoring Alexis Koehler and Jayna Hance to even the score at 4-4.
- The Lakers earned the win thanks to a pair of two-out runs in the seventh inning.
GAME ONE STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors: Northwood 4/9/2, Grand Valley 6/11/1
- Runners left on base: Northwood 8, Grand Valley 6
- Winning Pitcher – Hannah Beatus (6-2): 7 IP, 9 H, 4 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 6 K
- Losing Pitcher – Shayna Frank (7-2): 7 IP, 11 H, 6 R (4 ER), 1 BB, 4 K
TOP NU PERFORMERS
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS
- Northwood got the scoring going on a sacrifice fly by Dutoi, taking a 1-0 lead in the first inning.
- Grand Valley responded shortly after, plating two runs on RBI singles in the top of the second to take back the lead
- The Lakers continued their scoring in the fourth inning. GVSU pushed across two runs on three hits and a Northwood error to take a 4-1 advantage.
- NU added a run in the bottom of the fourth as Julia Gross scored on a wild pitch.
- A Grace Dutoi two-run double to center field continued the Northwood scoring, evening the score at 4-4 in the bottom of the fifth inning.
- NU had numerous chances to earn the win but were unable to push across a run.
- No runs were scored until GVSU plated a pair of unearned runs in the 10th inning.
- The Timberwolves were not able to score in the bottom of the inning, giving the Lakers the sweepl.
GAME TWO STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors: Northwood 4/8/2, Grand Valley 6/14/0
- Runners left on base: Northwood 8, Grand Valley 11
- Winning Pitcher: Ashley Platek: 10 IP, 8 H, 4 R (4 ER), 4 BB, 11 K
- Losing Pitcher: Hailey Leister: 6 IP, 6 H, 2 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 7 K
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Dutoi: 2-4, 3 RBI
- Julia Gross: 2-5, 2 R
- Northwood will play a double header at home Tuesday (March 30). against Saginaw Valley. The first game is scheduled to start 3 p.m.