OVERVIEW – Saginaw Valley
SCORES: Northwood Timberwolves 9, Saginaw Valley State Cardinals 2/Saginaw Valley 10, Northwood 9
RECORDS: Northwood (11-5, 3-3 GLIAC), Saginaw Valley (14-6, 3-4 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Fisher Stadium – Midland, MI.
RECAP: Northwood softball's second game comeback falls short in home split with Saginaw Valley. (March 30).
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS
- The Timberwolves got the scoring going in the first inning with an RBI single from Grace Dutoi, scoring Julia Gross to give NU a 1-0 lead.
- Northwood pieced together four more runs to start the third. Julia Gross got the scoring started, capitalizing on a Saginaw error. NU also added runs on an RBI groundout from Lauren Castellon, a bases loaded walk by Jayna Hance and a wild pitch.
- The Timberwolves extended their lead in the fourth. RBI doubles from Julia Gross and Sammi Slick pushed the NU advantage to 7-0.
- SVSU got on the board in the top of the fifth, adding two runs to make the score 7-2.
- A Tara Gross RBI double got the Northwood offense going in the sixth inning. Grace Dutoi added an RBI single to push the NU advantage to 9-2.
- Shayna Frank got the final three outs to pick up the win.
GAME ONE STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors: Northwood 9/10/1, Saginaw Valley 2/7/1
- Runners left on base: Northwood 8, Saginaw Valley 6
- Winning Pitcher – Shayna Frank (7-2): 7 IP, 7 H, 2 R, BB, 3 K
- Losing Pitcher – Julia Mundy (5-2): 2.2 IP, 5 H, 5 R (1 ER), 4 BB, 0 K
TOP NU PERFORMERS
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS
- The Cardinals struck first, putting five runs on the board in the second inning. NU made three errors in the inning, leading to three unearned runs.
- SVSU extended their lead with two more runs in the top of the third, putting the score at 7-0.
- The Timberwolves responded in a big way in the bottom of the third. A thre-run homerun from Julia Gross gave the Timberwolves some momentum. Makayla Gronback added another run for NU with an RBI single, cutting into the SVSU lead and making the score at 7-4.
- Julia Gross added another homerun in the fourth to cut the lead to 7-5.
- SVSU responded with another run in the top of the fifth, making the score 8-5.
- Northwood added a run in the fifth on an RBI groundout from Caroline Talaga to get NU back within two at 8-6.
- Tara Gross hit a homerun of her own to get NU within one run of the Cardinals in the sixth, which was followed by a Lauren Castellon two-run double to give the Timberwolves their first lead of the game, 9-8.
- SVSU responded in the top of the seventh, plating two runs to take back the lead at 10-9.
- Northwood put two runners on in the seventh but were unable to plate the tying run.
GAME TWO STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors: Northwood 9/12/4, Saginaw Valley 10/11/0
- Runners left on base: Northwood 10, Saginaw Valley 9
- Winning Pitcher: Julia Mundy (5-2): 1.2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K
- Losing Pitcher: Shayna Frank (7-2): 1 IP, 3 H, 2 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 4 K
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Northwood will play Wayne State at home on Friday (April 2). The first game is scheduled to start at 3 p.m.