OVERVIEW – WAYNE STATE
SCORES: Wayne State Warriors 7, Northwood Timberwolves 5 / Northwood 10, Wayne State 2 (6 innings)
RECORDS: Northwood (12-6, 4-4 GLIAC), Wayne State (13-5, 6-4 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Fisher Stadium – Midland, MI.
RECAP: Northwood softball splits a pair versus Wayne State Saturday afternoon (April 2).
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS
- The Warriors jumped out to an early 4-0 lead, plating four in the opening inning.
- Northwood responded in the bottom of the first, scoring a pair. Julia Gross had an RBI groundout, which was followed by an RBI single for Grace Dutoi to make the score 4-2.
- Northwood took the lead in the bottom of the fourth with a three-run rally. Maddie Coulter started the scoring an RBI single, which was followed by a Tara Gross two-run single through the right side.
- Wayne State immediately answered in the top of the fifth with a two-run homerun, taking the lead again 6-5.
- Warriors added a solo home run in the seventh to make the final 7-5.
GAME ONE STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors: Northwood 5/9/1, Wayne State 7/9/0
- Runners left on base: Northwood 6, Wayne State 3
- Winning Pitcher – Amy Claydon (2-0): 5 2/3 IP, 9 H, 5 R (4 ER),1 BB, 2 K
- Losing Pitcher – Shayna Frank (5-3): 7 IP, 9 H, 7 R (6 ER), 0 BB, 3 K
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Coulter: 3-4, 2 R, RBI
- Tara Gross: 2-4, 2 RBI, R
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS
- Northwood responded to the loss in game one with a fast start in the opening inning. Coulter led off with a solo homerun, which was followed by a Samantha Slick three-run homerun to make the score 4-0 after one.
- The score remained 4-0 until the fourth inning when the Warriors plated a pair, making the score 4-2.
- Grace Dutoi allowed Northwood to respond in a big way in the bottom of the inning. She blasted a grand slam over the scoreboard in left center to push the lead to 8-2.
- Coulter made it 9-2 in the bottom of the fifth thanks to her second home run of the game.
- The game ended in the sixth when pinch hitter Karlie Moore earned an RBI on a fielder's choice.
GAME TWO STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors: Northwood 10/12/0, Wayne State 2/4/3
- Runners left on base: Northwood 5, Wayne State 4
- Winning Pitcher: Taylor Wright (2-1): 4 IP,4 H, 2 R, BB, 4 K
- Losing Pitcher: Paige Ameel (6-3): 3 1/3 IP, 8 H, 8 R (7 ER), 3 BB, 2 K
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Coulter: 3-4, 2 R, 2 HR, 2 RBIs
- Dutoi: 3-4, 2 R, HR, 4 RBI
- Slick: 2-3, HR, 3 RBIs
- Hailey Leister: 2 IP, BB
- Northwood will play Ashland at home on Saturday (April 3). The first game is scheduled to start at noon.