OVERVIEW – SAGINAW VALLEY
SCORES: Saginaw Valley State Cardinals 7, Northwood Timberwolves 0 / Northwood 8, Saginaw Valley 7 (11 Innings)
RECORDS: Northwood (20-10, 12-8 GLIAC), Saginaw Valley (19-12, 8-10 GLIAC)
LOCATION: University Center, Mich.
RECAP: Softball splits pair of dramatic games at Saginaw Valley Saturday afternoon (April 24), falling in game one 7-0 before taking game two 8-7 in 11 innings.
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS
- SVSU pieced together a run in the bottom of the first for an early 1-0 lead.
- The score remained 1-0 until the sixth when the Cardinals broke through for six runs.
- Saginaw Valley's Emily Depew was the story of the game, as she tossed a no-hitter in the game. She allowed just two base runners – one walk and one hit by pitch. Both of runners reached in the sixth inning.
GAME ONE STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors: Northwood 0/0/0, Saginaw Valley 7/11/0
- Runners left on base: Northwood 2, Saginaw Valley 3
- Winning Pitcher – Emily Depew (5-1): 7 IP, 0 H, BB, 8 K
- Losing Pitcher – Shayna Frank (13-6): 5 2/3 IP, 9 H, 7 R, BB, 4 K
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS
- After getting no-hit in game one, the Timberwolves started game two with a run in the first inning on an RBI groundout by Grace Dutoi.
- SVSU responded with a run in the first and four more in the fourth to go up 5-1.
- The Timberwolves began their comeback in the top of the fifth, starting with a two-run homer by Julia Gross to make the score 5-3.
- Delanie Grundman got the Timberwolves within one at 5-4 in the sixth on a solo home run.
- NU then tied the game in the sixth on a squeeze bunt by Jayna Hance that made the score 5-5.
- SVSU responded with a solo homer in the bottom of the inning to go back on top 6-5.
- Northwood was down to their final out when Grundman put the Timberwolves back on top with an RBI single to right to send the game to extra innings.
- The score remained 6-6 until the 10th inning and the international tiebreaker, which gives each team a runner on second base to open the inning. NU got a run in the 10th on a Samantha Slick RBI groundout.
- The Cardinals tied the game in the 10th and had a chance to win the game, loading the bases with one out. But the Timberwolves got out the jam and sent the game to the 11th.
- Northwood plated an unearned run in the 11th to go back on top 8-7.
- SVSU had the tying run at third base with no one out in the 11th, but freshman pitcher Emily Cox got the final three outs without the run coming home to give the Timberwolves the comeback win.
GAME TWO STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors: Northwood 8/8/1, Saginaw Valley 7/10/2
- Runners left on base: Northwood 9, Saginaw Valley 10
- Winning Pitcher: Emily Cox (1-1) – 5 2/3 IP, H, R (0 ER), 2 BB, K
- Losing Pitcher: Alyssa Muench (2-3) – 5 IP, 3 H, 2 R (0 ER), 3 K
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Northwood will travel to Wayne State for a doubleheader Sunday (April 25). First pitch is set for Noon.