OVERVIEW – HILLSDALE
SCORE: Northwood Timberwolves 71, Hillsdale Chargers 61
RECORDS: Northwood (6-5, 3-3 GLIAC) Hillsdale (8-6, 2-5 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Potter Arena – Hillsdale, Mich.
RECAP: Northwood uses a dominant performance in the second half to earn a 71-61 road win over Hillsdale Thursday night (January 5).
- Northwood started the opening quarter strong, opening up an 11-5 lead with just under five minutes remaining.
- Hillsdale was the better team the reset of the quarter, scoring13 of the final 15 points to open up an 18-13 advantage after one
- The Timberwolves shot 40.0 percent from the floor (6-15), compared to Hillsdale at 37.5 percent (6-16). But the Chargers connected on five free throws to zero for the Timberwolves.
- Hillsdale opened up a lead as big as eight on two occasions early in the second quarter, but Northwood fought back to cut the Charger lead down to 27-26 with less than three minutes to go in the half.
- HC finished the second quarter strong, scoring eight of the final nine points to match their biggest advantage of the half at 35-27.
- The Chargers finished the half shooting 41.4 percent (12-29), compared to Northwood at 32.3 percent (10-31). Playing against the Hillsdale zone, the Timberwolves connected on just 2-13 from beyond the arc in the opening 20 minutes (15.4 percent).
- Foul trouble was an issue for the Timberwolves as well – four different NU players (three starters) picked up two fouls in the half: Jordyn Nurenberg, Lindsay Orwat, Zakiya Wells and Karli Harrington
- With the starters back on the floor, the Timberwolves dominated the third quarter. Hillsdale got the lead up to 10 at 39-29, but it was all NU the rest of the frame. NU-out scored Hillsdale 21-6 the rest of the quarter to take a 50-45 lead to the fourth.
- NU was 8-18 from the floor in the quarter (44.4 percent) while holding HC to 5-19 (26.3 percent).
- Northwood picked up right where it left off early in the fourth, scoring the first seven points to take a 57-45 lead with just over eight minutes to go.
- NU led by as many as 15 in the fourth, but Hillsdale fought back. The Chargers cut the advantage down to six points late before the Timberwolves put the game away.
- Northwood shot 53.8 percent in the fourth quarter (7-13) while holding Hillsdale to 35.3 percent (6-17).
- FG PERCENTAGE: Hillsdale .371 (23-62), Northwood .410 (25-61)
- 3-PT PERCENTAGE: Hillsdale .143 (2-14), Northwood .227 (5-22)
- FREE THROW PERCENTAGE: Hillsdale .722 (13-18), Northwood .727 (16-22)
- REBOUNDS: Hillsdale 30 (11 offensive), Northwood 50 (19 offensive)
- ASSISTS/TURNOVERS: Hillsdale 4/16, Northwood 14/19
- Rebounding proved to be a huge part of the win for NU. The Timberwolves out-rebounded the Chargers 50-30 (19-11 on the offensive glass). That gave NU an 18-6 in second-chance points.
- Northwood has now won two straight road games after winning 75-67 at Indianapolis.
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Jordyn Nurenberg: 19 points, 13 rebounds, three assists
- Lindsay Orwat: 19 points, five rebounds
- Maddy Seeley: 12 points
- The Timberwolves will travel to Ohio Dominican Saturday (January 7). Game time is set for 1 p.m.