OVERVIEW – SAGINAW VALLEY STATE
SCORE: Saginaw Valley State Cardinals 72, Northwood Timberwolves 54
RECORDS: Saginaw Valley (15-4, 11-2 GLIAC), Northwood (9-9, 6-7 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Riepma Arena – Midland, Mich.
RECAP: SVSU uses big third quarter push push to post 72-54 win over Northwood Saturday (January 29).
- Both teams took a very passive approach to begin play, deadlocked in a 6-6 tie halfway through the period.
- The biggest lead came when the Cardinals scored the final four points of the opening stanza to lead 16-12.
- Northwood shot 28.6 percent from the floor (4-14) with Saginaw Valley at 37.5 percent (6-16). Both teams went 0-3 from 3-point range.
- The Cardinals were able to keep their lead for all of the second stanza and would build the lead to as big as nine with 1:53.
- SVSU eventually led 30-23 at the break.
- Both offenses were better in the second, with the Timberwolves hitting 36.4 percent of their shots (4-11) compared to the Cardinals at 50.0 percent (6-12).
- Both squads continued to struggle from behind the arc, as Northwood converted the only three-point attempt of the half (1-14 combined).
- Northwood got the Saginaw Valley lead down to 42-36 with under five minutes to go in the third.
- That is when SVSU went on what proved to be the key run of the game, scoring the final 15 points of the third to send the game to the fourth with the Cardinals leading 57-36.
- Northwood had their worst shooting period of the night, finishing at 25.0 percent (3-12). The Cardinals were solid in the third, connecting on 5-11 (54.5 percent) as well as hitting their first two three-point shots of the night.
- Northwood chipped away at the lead in the fourth, getting it down to 63-50 with less than six minutes to go.
- SVSU held off the NU rally by scoring nine of the final 13 points of the game to earn the win.
- The Cardinals were able to finish the job shooting 58.3 percent (7-12) in the fourth. Northwood connected on 42.1 percent in the fourth (8-19).
- FG PERCENTAGE: Saginaw Valley .490 (25-51), Northwood .339 (19-56)
- 3-PT PERCENTAGE: Saginaw Valley .190 (4-21), Northwood .222 (2-9)
- FREE THROW PERCENTAGE: Saginaw Valley .643 (9-14), Northwood .769 (20-26)
- REBOUNDS: Saginaw Valley 38 (8 offensive), Northwood 28 (8 offensive)
- ASSISTS/TURNOVERS: Saginw Valley 12/17, Northwood 12/16
- Saginaw Valley had the edge in terms of points in the paint (32-28), second chance points (7-4), and bench points (14-4).
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Jordyn Nurenberg: 19 points, five rebounds, two steals,6-7 from the floor, 7-8 from the foul line
- Lindsay Orwat: 14 points, 5-6 from the foul line
- Delaney Kenny: Eight points, three steals
- The Timberwolves will travel to Lake Superior State Monday (January 30). Game time is set for 5:30 p.m.