OVERVIEW – FERRIS STATE
SCORE: Northwood Timberwolves 75, Ferris State Bulldogs 70
RECORDS: Northwood (13-10, 10-8 GLIAC), Ferris State (5-19, 4-14 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Riepma Arena – Midland, Mich.
RECAP: Northwood clinches spot in the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (GLIAC) Tournament with 75-70 win over Ferris State Saturday night (February 11).
- Northwood got off to a fast start in the game, jumping out to a 21-10 lead in the first quarter.
- The Timberwolves eventually led 23-14 after the first quarter.
- Northwood shot 47.1 percent on their overall attempts (8-17), with their percentage from behind the arc (55.6 percent) key to their early advantage (5-9).
- Ferris State made 54.4 percent of their attempts (6-11), going 0-for-1 from behind the arc.
- A 13-6 run by the Bulldogs cut the Northwood lead to three with 4:24 left in the second.
- Northwood was able to sustain the lead going into halftime netting five of the last seven points to send the game to the break leading 35-29.
- The Timberwolves hit 33.3 percent of their shots (4-12) overall and from 3-point range (1-3) in the quarter.
- The Bulldogs notched 37.5 percent of their attempts from the field (6-16), going 2-for-3 from the three-point line (66.7 percent).
- Ferris State was the better team in the third, eventually tying the game at 49-49.
- Northwood eventually took a 54-51 lead to the fourth quarter.
- The Timberwolves made 36.4 percent of their attempts from the field (4-11), hitting 60 percent of their three-point shots (3-5).
- The Bulldogs made 50 percent of their shots (8-16), going 33.3 percent from the three-point line.
- The teams traded leads for much of fourth quarter until Northwood took the lead for good at 62-60.
- Northwood's lead stayed above four points the rest of the way, thanks in large part to hitting 8/10 free throws in the final 30 seconds.
- Ferris State had their best shooting quarter of the day sinking 57.1 percent of their shots (8-14).
- Northwood needed every free throw that they could get in the final stanza, as they shot just 22.2 percent (4-18) in the fourth.
- FG PERCENTAGE: Ferris State .491 (28-57), Northwood .345 (20-58)
- 3-PT PERCENTAGE: Ferris State .250 (2-8), Northwood .435 (10-23)
- FREE THROW PERCENTAGE: Ferris State .750 (12-16), Northwood .781 (25-32)
- REBOUNDS: Ferris State 29 (five offensive), Northwood 42 (17 offensive)
- ASSISTS/TURNOVERS: Ferris State 6/17, Northwood 14/18
- Northwood has now made the GLIAC Tournament in each of the last four years and for the ninth time in the last 11 years. The Timberwolves had never made the GLIAC Tournament prior to the start of that run in 2008.
- Northwood had the lead for 37 minutes of the game.
- The Timberwolves have not lost to Ferris State since February 2013, winning eight straight against the Bulldogs.
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Jordyn Nurenberg: 15 points, 13-16 on free throws, ten rebounds, two blocks (32nd career double-double)
- Lindsay Orwat: 15 points, (7-8 on free throws), four rebounds, two steals, one assist
- Taylor Craymer: 11 points (career-high), 3-5 on three-pointers, three rebounds, two steals
- Delaney Kenny: nine points, (2-5 on three-pointers), six rebounds, three assists, three steals
- The Timberwolves will host Wayne State on Thursday (February 16). Game time is set for 6 p.m.