OVERVIEW – LEWIS
SCORE: Northwood Timberwolves 86, Lewis Flyers 72
RECORDS: Northwood (1-2), Lewis (2-1)
LOCATION: Riepma Arena – Midland, Mich.
RECAP: Maddy Seeley reaches 1,000 career points as Northwood picks up their first win of the season 86-72 over Lewis Friday night (November 10).
- Northwood fell behind 7-4 2:40 into the game but went on an 11-0 run to open up a 15-7 edge.
- Lewis fought back to tie the score late before Northwood scored as time expired to come out on top at the end of the stanza 21-19.
- The Timberwolves shot 40.0 percent from the floor in the quarter (8-20), while the Flyers finished at 38.9 percent (7-18).
- The score remained close throughout the third quarter, as neither team led by more than five points.
- Northwood jumped out to a 26-21 lead with five of the first seven points in the second.
- Lewis came back to take the lead at 30-29, but Northwood got a pair of 3-pointers from Maddy Seeley, which proved to be the final points of the half as the Timberwolves led 35-30 at the break.
- Northwood shot 41.7 percent from the floor in the second (5-12), compared to Lewis, who posted a 38.5 percent mark (5-13). NU made four 3-pointers in the quarter, compared to one for the Flyers.
- Northwood scored the first five points of the third quarter to open up the first double-digit lead of the contest (40-30).
- The Timberwolves maintained the lead throughout the quarter and held a 56-47 advantage heading to the fourth.
- Northwood progressively got better from the floor in the contest, shooting 7-16 from the field (43.8 percent) in the third. Lewis went 6-11 in the frame (54.5 percent).
- The Timberwolves were up 69-56 with just under five minutes left in the game.
- Lewis cut the lead to eight twice in the final two minutes, but Northwood finished strong to earn the win.
- NU's 14-point lead at the end of the game was their biggest of the contest
- Both teams had their best shooting quarter of the contest – Lewis finished at 56.3 percent (9-16) while Northwood went 5-9 (55.6 percent).
- Northwood went 18-22 from the foul line in the fourth (81.8 percent), compared to Lewis at 6-8 (75.0 percent).
- FG PERCENTAGE: Lewis .466 (27-58), Northwood .439 (25-57)
- 3-PT PERCENTAGE: Lewis .368 (7-19), Northwood .320 (8-25)
- FREE THROW PERCENTAGE: Lewis .609 (14-23), Northwood .800 (28-35)
- REBOUNDS: Lewis 31 (9 offensive), Northwood 41 (12 offensive)
- ASSISTS/TURNOVERS: Lewis 19/13, Northwood 14/11
- POINTS IN THE PAINT: Lewis 36, Northwood 30
- POINTS OFF TURNOVERS: Lewis 9, Northwood 15
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Seeley: 25 points, six assists, four rebounds, one steal
- Lindsay Orwat; 23 points, two assists, four rebounds
- Zakiya Wells: 17 points (career-high), three assists, four rebounds
- Grace German: 10 points (career-high), eight rebounds (career-high)
- Northwood beat Lewis for the first time in program history (1-5), dating back to the first meeting in 2012.
- Seeley became the 17th member of Northwood's 1,000-point club with a free throw in the final seconds. It was the final point of the game.
- The Timberwolves will host Indianapolis Sunday (November 19). Game time is set for 1 p.m.