OVERVIEW – FERRIS STATE
SCORE: Northwood Timberwolves 80, Ferris State Bulldogs 76
RECORDS: Northwood (5-3, 2-1 GLIAC), Ferris State (6-3, 1-2 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Riepma Arena – Midland, Mich.
RECAP: Northwood holds off a late Ferris State rally in an 80-76 win Thursday (December 7).
- The two teams split the first ten points of the game before Northwood took over. A 13-2 run keyed by four three-pointers had the Timberwolves up 18-7 with 5:51 left in the stanza.
- Northwood was able to build on their edge and extended the lead to as large as 28-13 before the quarter was out, leading 30-17 after 10 minutes.
- The Timberwolves shot 62.5% percent from the floor in the first (10-16), while Ferris State finished at 31.3 percent (5-16). Northwood's seven 3-poniters in the quarter were a big part of the advantage.
- The Bulldogs opened the second with the first four points to cut the lead down to nine, but Northwood was able to maintain their lead at 37-25 halfway through the second.
- The Timberwolves were able to finish strong going into the half, answering Ferris State with a 14-9 run to go up by as many as 17. The home team was up comfortably by double digits by the half at 51-36.
- NU ended the half cooling off after a hot start, sinking 43.8% of their attempts from the field (7-16). FSU improved going into the break, shooting 47.1 percent from the floor (8-17).
- The Timberwolves were able to break the 20-point mark on their lead with 1:51 into the second half at 58-38. That lead stayed above 20 by the halfway mark.
- Ferris State would not go quietly and went on a run before the period was out. Scoring 13 of the next 19 points, they cut the deficit down to 14 heading into the final stanza.
- The Timberwolves finished the third at 42.9 percent (6-14). The Bulldogs shot 46.2 percent from the floor (6-14).
- Ferris State was the better team in the fourth quarter, making a run to make the final minutes dramatic.
- FSU got the lead down to two points with 51 seconds remaining the contest, but Northwood connected on all four of their free throws in the final minute to close out the victory.
- Northwood's offense struggled in the fourth, making 25 percent of their shots (3-12). Ferris State had their best quarter in the final frame, ending up at 61.5 percent.
- FG PERCENTAGE: Ferris State .458 (27-59), Northwood .448 (26-58)
- 3-PT PERCENTAGE: Ferris State .375 (3-8), Northwood .355 (11-31)
- FREE THROW PERCENTAGE: Ferris State .760 (19-25), Northwood .773 (17-22)
- REBOUNDS: Ferris State 28 (7 offensive), Northwood 39 (13 offensive)
- ASSISTS/TURNOVERS: Ferris State 11/12, Northwood 18/18
- POINTS IN THE PAINT: Ferris State 44, Northwood 28
- POINTS OFF TURNOVERS: Ferris State 25, Northwood 21
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Maddy Seeley: 29 points (career-high), 9-15 from the floor, seven 3-point field goals
- Lindsay Orwat: 16 points, five assists, five rebounds
- Grace German: 12 points, 16 rebounds (career-high)
- Karli Herrington: 10 points, six rebounds, three blocks
- Northwood has now won nine straight against Ferris State dating back to 2013.
- The last four meetings between Northwood and Ferris State in Riepma Arena have been decided by an average of 4.5 points. The last three games in Big Rapids have been decided by an average of 26 points.
- The Timberwolves will host Lake Superior State Saturday (December 9). Game time is set for 1 p.m.